Where to put Portable windows program folder ?

Questions about Wine on Linux
Nokia-808
Level 2
Level 2

Where to put Portable windows program folder ?

Post by Nokia-808 »

If I have a windows game or program in a portable form (being with all it's elements within a portable folder), then where should I put such portable folder on hard desk if I wish to run such portable windows game/program in Linux over WineHQ ? Is it O.K to put such portable folder any where or it should be put inside /.wine folder ?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Where to put Portable windows program folder ?

Post by Bob Wya »

@Nokia-808

For tidiness, and generally keeping all WINEPREFIX's self-contained, I personally favour:

Code: Select all

"${WINEPREFIX:-${HOME}/.wine}/drive_c"
In other words just using the virtual C:\ drive.

But strictly speaking it doesn't really matter, since we are talking about portable applications...

Bob
protozone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by protozone »

I locate the "Program Files" folder within wine's virtual C: drive, and instead of using that, create a folder next to it called "Programs" Without any spaces in the folder names, there are slightly fewer errors relating to pathnames. And since it's not a protected folder name or location, it works better. Then I set the Windows mode to Windows 7 (using winecfg).

I never use prefixes at all. I find it to be too confusing. I've never had any problems from that.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

protozone wrote:I never use prefixes at all. I find it to be too confusing. I've never had any problems from that.
Well that's your choice... But you get to pick up the pieces from that decision! :lol:

Bob
gray25

Post by gray25 »

I use virtual C: for running a whole suite of portable apps using the launcher from portableapps.com with no problems.