Error with MFC42.DLL

Questions about Wine on Linux
panchorob
Level 1
Level 1

Error with MFC42.DLL

Post by panchorob »

My wife's computer is running Xubuntu 16.04 with WINE 3.0. I am trying to get Paint Shop Pro 5.0 to run. She likes it better than GIMP.

When I try to run PSP.exe I get the following error:

pamela@Pamela:~$ cd 'Paint Shop Pro 5'
pamela@Pamela:~/Paint Shop Pro 5$ wine psp.exe
0009:err:module:import_dll Loading library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\pamela\\Paint Shop Pro 5\\JCMYK.dll") failed (error c000007b).
0009:err:module:import_dll Library JCMYK.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\pamela\\Paint Shop Pro 5\\psp.exe") not found
0009:err:module:import_dll Loading library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\pamela\\Paint Shop Pro 5\\psp.exe") failed (error c000007b).
0009:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"Z:\\home\\pamela\\Paint Shop Pro 5\\psp.exe" failed, status c0000135
pamela@Pamela:~/Paint Shop Pro 5$

The JCMYK.dll comes with the program in the app directory. I have added the MFC42.DLL both to the system32 directory and to the app directory. I have done this with a copy of the DLL from my Windows computer and with Wine Tricks. Neither has worked. I have also exactly matched the cases as displayed in the error message, this has not worked. I have perused the forum before posting but found nothing.

Thank you.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Error with MFC42.DLL

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Installing it with "winetricks -q mfc42" in a clean WINEPREFIX didn't help?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

panchorob wrote:My wife's computer is running Xubuntu 16.04 with WINE 3.0. I am trying to get Paint Shop Pro 5.0 to run. She likes it better than GIMP.

Code: Select all

0009:err:module:import_dll Loading library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\pamela\\Paint Shop Pro 5\\JCMYK.dll") failed (error c000007b).
0009:err:module:import_dll Library JCMYK.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\pamela\\Paint Shop Pro 5\\psp.exe") not found
0009:err:module:import_dll Loading library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\pamela\\Paint Shop Pro 5\\psp.exe") failed (error c000007b).
0009:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"Z:\\home\\pamela\\Paint Shop Pro 5\\psp.exe" failed, status c0000135
The JCMYK.dll comes with the program in the app directory. I have added the MFC42.DLL both to the system32 directory and to the app directory. I have done this with a copy of the DLL from my Windows computer and with Wine Tricks. Neither has worked. I have also exactly matched the cases as displayed in the error message, this has not worked. I have perused the forum before posting but found nothing.

Thank you.
Please use the forum Code:

I AM CODE
tags for blocks of terminal output and commands!

What's going on there:

/home/pamela/Paint Shop Pro 5/psp.exe
You're starting an executable in a directory that isn't a WINEPREFIX.
Is psp.exe the installer? If not you're doing it wrong!
See: WineHQ FAQ.

C:\Windows\System32
Is the location for 64-bit dynamic link libraries in a 64-bit WINEPREFIX...
If your WINEPREFIX is 64-bit - you're putting the MFC42.DLL file in the wrong directory...
It should go in:

C:\Windows\Syswow64
which is where 32-bit dynamic link libraries go in a 64-bit WINEPREFIX.
Obviously, as you have done, it's easier to use the winetricks script to do this for you...

Bob
panchorob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panchorob »

DarkShadow44 wrote:Installing it with "winetricks -q mfc42" in a clean WINEPREFIX didn't help?
No, this made no difference. Thank you, though.
panchorob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panchorob »

Bob Wya wrote:
panchorob wrote:My wife's computer is running Xubuntu 16.04 with WINE 3.0. I am trying to get Paint Shop Pro 5.0 to run. She likes it better than GIMP.

Thank you.
Please use the forum Code:

I AM CODE
tags for blocks of terminal output and commands!

What's going on there:

/home/pamela/Paint Shop Pro 5/psp.exe
You're starting an executable in a directory that isn't a WINEPREFIX.
Is psp.exe the installer? If not you're doing it wrong!
See: WineHQ FAQ.

C:\Windows\System32
Is the location for 64-bit dynamic link libraries in a 64-bit WINEPREFIX...
If your WINEPREFIX is 64-bit - you're putting the MFC42.DLL file in the wrong directory...
It should go in:

C:\Windows\Syswow64
which is where 32-bit dynamic link libraries go in a 64-bit WINEPREFIX.
Obviously, as you have done, it's easier to use the winetricks script to do this for you...

Bob

I have not had the install disks for this program in many, many years. For the past few computers, I have had the directory saved to a stick and ran it as such. It works fine this way on a Windows machine.

I have no Syswow64 directory. I created one and put the "missing" DLLs in it. No difference.

Thank you, I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.
panchorob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panchorob »

Thank you for your help. From a curiosity standpoint, I would have been interested in what was missing (like I said, on a Windows machine just copying the directory allowed the program to run), but I had to move along. I tracked down the installation disk (only 19 years later), installed it and it runs great. Thank you for your help and assistance. PS, even with it properly installed and running perfectly, there is no Syswow64 folder, and the MFC42.DLL is in the System32 directory.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

panchorob wrote:
DarkShadow44 wrote:Installing it with "winetricks -q mfc42" in a clean WINEPREFIX didn't help?
No, this made no difference. Thank you, though.
I guess you're doing something wrong then, because this is exactly what this should help with.
panchorob wrote:PS, even with it properly installed and running perfectly, there is no Syswow64 folder, and the MFC42.DLL is in the System32 directory.
Then that's a 32bit WINEPREFIX, as opposed to a 64bit WINEPREFIX. 32bit windows doesn't have Syswow64, for obvious reasons.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Maybe needed to register those dll;s?? I would assume the installation process from the original disks did that.
panchorob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panchorob »

fargodwe wrote:Maybe needed to register those dll;s?? I would assume the installation process from the original disks did that.
Yes, that is about the only thing I can come up with.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

winetricks should do everything needed for MFC42.DLL to work.
panchorob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panchorob »

DarkShadow44 wrote:winetricks should do everything needed for MFC42.DLL to work.
Should. After your suggestion, I first tried with the Winetricks command line command you suggested, it came back that MFC42 was already installed. Tried again, it didn't work. Next, I wiped out the .wine and started from scratch, again installing MFC42 with Winetricks with the command line command. Still didn't worked.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Strange, because it works for me with the trial I found. You did install it into a fresh WINEPREFIX, right?
panchorob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panchorob »

DarkShadow44 wrote:Strange, because it works for me with the trial I found. You did install it into a fresh WINEPREFIX, right?
When I installed it from the install it worked fine. Only when I tried to get it to work from an existing directory copied from my other computer did we have issues. I tried it that way so that I didn't have to go find the install disks and because that is how I have run it for most of the past 19 years as I changed computers.

The only thing WINE was being used for on this computer was this program. What do you mean by fresh WINEPREFIX, and would not wiping out the .wine directory and having WINE create a new one have done this? That is what I did.

Again, it does work now that I installed it with the install program, the issue of why it didn't before is simply an academic one.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

The WINEPREFIX is the .wine folder, so yes. And when you copy just the program folder, it might break, but if you copy the complete .wine folder it should still work. Dunno if you did it like that, but keep that in mind.
panchorob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panchorob »

DarkShadow44 wrote:The WINEPREFIX is the .wine folder, so yes. And when you copy just the program folder, it might break, but if you copy the complete .wine folder it should still work. Dunno if you did it like that, but keep that in mind.
No, I wasn't copying it from a Xubuntu machine but rather from a Windows machine. I moved my wife to Xubuntu about a year ago and this is the only program she missed; she tried for a year and never cared for GIMP.

Thank you for taking the time to help.