CSMT deprecated?

Questions about Wine on Linux
shoober420

CSMT deprecated?

Post by shoober420 »

I'm using wine-staging 3.9, and notice that the CSMT option under staging tab in winecfg is labeled "(deprecated)". Does this mean we should no longer enable CSMT for direct3d games?
dimesio

Re: CSMT deprecated?

Post by dimesio »

CSMT has been part of the development branch since 2.6 and enabled by default since 3.3. The staging tab in winecfg is left over from when CSMT was only in staging. I'm not sure whether it has any effect any more.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

dimesio wrote:... I'm not sure whether it has any effect any more.
The CSMT checkbox was fixed in Wine Staging 3.6 (I think)... It now just toggles the standard Wine CSMT Registry key.

Bob
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

dimesio wrote:CSMT has been part of the development branch since 2.6 and enabled by default since 3.3. The staging tab in winecfg is left over from when CSMT was only in staging. I'm not sure whether it has any effect any more.
There was a bit of a discussion about the wording of the checkbox when it was re-implemented and fixed in staging a while back, but the staging maintainers went with (Deprecated).

Point being is that it is as said, enabled by default, so the "staging function of CSMT" is not really needed... however for some it is still somewhat nice to have as a troubleshooting option or whatever. Having CSMT as a toggle-box is in MY opinion nice, but should rather be moved to one of the regular wine-tabs as it is no longer a "staging feature" :)