World of Tank 1.0 (Core engine) screen flicker

Questions about Wine on Linux
nannerpusser

World of Tank 1.0 (Core engine) screen flicker

Post by nannerpusser »

I took a look at the WineHQ page for WOT 1.0 and it has been given a Gold rating, but no other information is listed. Has anyone else had trouble running WOT lately, since the move to the Core graphics engine? I know Wine doesn't handle DX11, but supposedly the DX11 features are disabled in the Standard version of the game installation. However, even with a Standard install and my wine Windows version set to XP to try and force DX9, I get a flickering screen for WOT after the initial splash logo. I've messed with libraries for an hour now and it crashes completely if I change version to Windows 7 or I get a blank black screen if I disable the D3D11 library. I use the Gallium9 mesa stack and enable/disable of that doesn't seem to matter either.

It also crashes immediately with the latest wine builds in our Arch repo (3.8+), although I fixed that by downgrading to wine-staging-nine 2.21, but then I get the screen flicker.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: World of Tank 1.0 (Core engine) screen flicker

Post by Bob Wya »

@nannerpusser

Maybe take a look at using the DirectX 11 render path, but with the DXVK Vulkan translation layer.
Checkout the Wiki: DXVK Wiki: Driver Support.

DXVK seems to be working OK with AMD graphics hardware + World of Tanks at the moment...
There is only one open DXVK issue about World of Tanks, I could find.
But obviously you'd have to wade through the Issue Tracker, to find what versions of RADV, LLVM, Mesa, etc. are currently broken (this week)!

Please note in future... It's expected that you would post (at the barest minimum) something like the output from:

Code: Select all

inxi -G
- if you're having graphical performance or issues with glitching...
Remember you are asking for help!! :roll:

Bob
nannerpusser

Post by nannerpusser »

Bob Wya wrote:@nannerpusser

Maybe take a look at using the DirectX 11 render path, but with the DXVK Vulkan translation layer.
Checkout the Wiki: DXVK Wiki: Driver Support.

DXVK seems to be working OK with AMD graphics hardware + World of Tanks at the moment...
There is only one open DXVK issue about World of Tanks, I could find.
But obviously you'd have to wade through the Issue Tracker, to find what versions of RADV, LLVM, Mesa, etc. are currently broken (this week)!

Please note in future... It's expected that you would post (at the barest minimum) something like the output from:

Code: Select all

inxi -G
- if you're having graphical performance or issues with glitching...
Remember you are asking for help!! :roll:

Bob
Right, gotcha. I wasn't really any more specific because I meant it as more of an open-ended generic question to gauge which direction to take next. I wanted to see if any/several others had screen flicker or other graphical problems since the Core engine update, since over here on Arch I'm the minority and very rarely find other Arch users outside our forum. I don't usually ask for specific help because it rarely applies to me when almost everyone is using Ubuntu or Mint. Particularly when it comes to mesa/opengl stacks plus Wine because I use a heavily patched and optimized wine-gaming-nine AUR package or wine-staging-nine from official repo.

I should have made that more clear or just omitted anything outside of that. Or just explained this up front.
nannerpusser

Post by nannerpusser »

Also, I can't edit my post or I'd trim the excess.

My only real question here is if anyone else has run into screen flicker in the past two months or so while playing World of Tanks? If I'm the minority, I know what I should rip out or change. If I'm one of many, I know how far down I should rip things out of change them completely. Please disregard my initial post except for the first couple sentences.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

nannerpusser wrote:Also, I can't edit my post or I'd trim the excess.

My only real question here is if anyone else has run into screen flicker in the past two months or so while playing World of Tanks? If I'm the minority, I know what I should rip out or change. If I'm one of many, I know how far down I should rip things out of change them completely. Please disregard my initial post except for the first couple sentences.
Issues like this are probably best addressed on Reddit (or similar online "communities").
In other words where you don't know if an issue is a Wine problem, or is a graphics driver specific bug...

I don't own or play World of Tanks - so I can't really comment any further... :cry:

There's a WineHQ forum timeout limit, for editing posts. For spam control I think.

Bob