How can I uninstall software from winetricks?

Questions about Wine on Linux
duckladydinh

How can I uninstall software from winetricks?

Post by duckladydinh »

Hello,

Wine is a very interesting application, but it is without its shortcoming. Recently i have a few problems with winetricks and I hope that you can help me with that.

I have tried the winetricks uninstaller, and I also tried to unmark the component I do not want to use, but the result is nothing changed, the components that I unmarked are marked automatically again, and those that I have uninstalled disappeared from the uninstaller, but they are still there. So what should I do to uninstall using winetricks? Is there any easy way like using command line?

Not like it will matter, but I am using Ubuntu 18.04 (the same problems in all previous versions) on a Dell laptop with Intel Core.

Thank you.
dimesio

Re: How can I uninstall software from winetricks?

Post by dimesio »

You can't uninstall dlls installed with winetricks, though you can remove any overrides it has set in winecfg. The "run uninstaller" option just runs Wine's uninstaller, which just runs the app's uninstaller. Windows uninstallers are notorious for leaving things behind in Windows, so don't expect them to perform any better in Wine.

The only way to get back to a clean wineprefix is to delete it and start over.

FYI, winetricks is a separate project, with its own shortcomings.
Kitsune
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kitsune »

I have find a tips that can help, not really uninstalling all but can be used for update apps in wine and winetricks.

Sometimes packages can be in conflict with a old installed version (thinking about dotnet case). Then you must uninstalling it and reinstall a newer version.

I suggest to use wine uninstaller to uninstall the package you want uninstalling and for winetricks you can use his *.log file in the .wine folder for "uninstalling" it from winetricks and reinstall the newer version of the component.

But some component are invisible in wine uninstall so use a special cleaning program for it like "Ccleaner "or maybe "dxerad" for uninstalling DirectX before the winetricks tips.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

As dimesio explained above the only clean way is to remove the prefix and start over. If you don't know what a wine prefix is you can think of it sort of like a sandbox or instance of windows. I *think* a lot of us use a different prefix for each program for just the problem you have now. If you did not specify WINEPREFIX=<some path here> when installing your program and also when running it then you probably let it default. The default for WINEPREFIX is the hidden .wine folder in your login page. To start over, delete it:

Code: Select all

rm -R .wine
You should be aware, however, that if you installed other programs for wine and did not use WINEPREFIX for each of those then all of the programs you installed would be in the .wine folder. So if you delete the folder you also delete those other programs installed in wine and they will need to be reinstalled.

This is why it would be best to use a separate WINEPREFIX for each. For example:

WINEPREFIX=program A for a program named "A"
WINEPREFIX=myprogram for a program named "myprogram"

An example of using an installer to also create a prefix would be:

WINEPREFIX=GAMEX wine gamex_installer.exe
This puts everything for the program in a folder called "GAMEX" in your home folder. Doing the same for other programs does the same. In this way if something goes wrong with GAMEX and you need to completely start over with it you just delete the folder "GAMEX" and it won't affect the other programs.

Similarly, to run a program installed to wine with a separate prefix you need to specify the prefix. Everybody has their own way of doing it - some by setting and exporting WINEPREFIX variable - others (like me) just put it in front of "wine", such as:

WINEPREFIX=GAMEX wine gamex.exe
You would do the same anytime you are dealing with the program, such as running winecfg or winetricks.