Dark Souls 3 works on AMD with DXVK.

Questions about Wine on Linux
ebd

Dark Souls 3 works on AMD with DXVK.

Post by ebd »

Hi, for the past month I've been trying to add a submission to Dark Souls 3 letting everyone know it works under AMD hardware with free drivers and DXVK. When I added my submission, it was declined, saying that DXVK is not a part of vanilla Wine, so it should not be listed. That's all fine and good, but just recently there was another submission of a test running under Nvidia hardware with proprietary drivers and DXVK, and what do you know, it gets accepted. I tried to add another submission, and was told this time that I can't list DXVK under the workarounds section of the submission, instead I had to add it to the additional notes, which is all fine and good, but if you look on the Nvidia test that made it through just fine, they CLEARLY list DXVK in the WORKAROUNDS section. I'm not really sure who to ask for insight, I really don't want to deal with this crock of shit, I just want people to be aware that Dark Souls 3 works just fine in Wine now if you use DXVK, but it's seeming like that's near impossible. I fail to see the point of any of this website if when things are made to work, we aren't allowed to let people know.

The page in question.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=17488

(A little side note, the admins had the absolute audacity to accept a screenshot I submitted along with my submission, yet they wouldn't accept the submission itself. So for a good few weeks, the game was just listed as utterly broken, yet it had a screenshot of it working.)
dimesio

Re: Dark Souls 3 works on AMD with DXVK.

Post by dimesio »

I've deleted the test report that used DXVK, as it never should have been accepted. I've also deleted your screenshot, since you say that was taken using DXVK. Since you did not state that in the screenshot description, there was no way the admin who processed the screenshot could have known that--screenshots are in a separate queue from test reports.

The advice you were given to list DXVK in the Extra comments section was correct. The main body of your test report and the rating must be based on plain Wine.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

Since DXVK is not a wine project and the appdb + bugzilla is meant for "wine" only, it should at best be listed as a possible workaround and not a "its working now with xxx".

It is still "garbage" and non-working when it comes to wine :)
swedave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by swedave »

Thanks for letting us know .
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

dimesio wrote:I've deleted the test report that used DXVK, as it never should have been accepted. I've also deleted your screenshot, since you say that was taken using DXVK. Since you did not state that in the screenshot description, there was no way the admin who processed the screenshot could have known that--screenshots are in a separate queue from test reports.

The advice you were given to list DXVK in the Extra comments section was correct. The main body of your test report and the rating must be based on plain Wine.
The whole DXVK situation is becoming quite an issue...
For example I've a recently had one user, on AppDB, ranting that I've told him to confine discussions about DXVK to the "Extra comments" section.
There continues to be a steady stream of gaming test results that quote DXVK usage, but in undefined way (i.e. is the overall rating based on Wine Staging+ DXVK or Wine Staging)...

Perhaps the Test Submission form, on AppDB, could be updated to include a short information piece about DXVK/PBA, etc.?
I've got pro-forma copy-paste rejection text... But I'm still seeing new test results that break the current guidelines... :roll:

Bob
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

Bob Wya wrote: Perhaps the Test Submission form, on AppDB, could be updated to include a short information piece about DXVK/PBA, etc.?
I've got pro-forma copy-paste rejection text... But I'm still seeing new test results that break the current guidelines... :roll:

Bob
Hopefully one day DXVK will be mainline, and doing DX -> OpenGL is redundant. I mean, DX12 is going to be DX12 -> Vulkan "officially", so if DXVK gets to the point its better than OpenGL and "ready" for mainline this disgussion is over :)

Some things work better with DXVK as it is, yet some things do not.

PBA on the other hand is something wine should have had long ago, as the mainline wine performance is a lot lower in most games.

But yeah.. wine devs have no influence over DXVK code, so things that work with DXVK does not really have much to do with wine, so maybe should be made a own APPDB thing like "wishlist" or something :)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Cybermax wrote: Hopefully one day DXVK will be mainline, and doing DX -> OpenGL is redundant. I mean, DX12 is going to be DX12 -> Vulkan "officially", so if DXVK gets to the point its better than OpenGL and "ready" for mainline this discussion is over :)

Some things work better with DXVK as it is, yet some things do not.

PBA on the other hand is something wine should have had long ago, as the mainline wine performance is a lot lower in most games.

But yeah.. wine devs have no influence over DXVK code, so things that work with DXVK does not really have much to do with wine, so maybe should be made a own APPDB thing like "wishlist" or something :)
I'm not sure how relevant DX12 is going to be in the long term... Are there a lot of DX12 titles out there I don't know about? :lol:

I know DXVK is getting a lot of work - but I find that Wine Staging plus the (also unofficial) PBA patchset has significantly less issues. DXVK is more performant for some games - but it appears to have a lot of issues still. E.g. with graphical effects not getting loaded - which causes sound loops in games (I know of 2 examples) and broken textures. Of course DXVK is in an impressive state, given how early it is in the development cycle!

Obviously, as has been pointed out many times, DXVK only does the DX11->VK translation. Many games leverage DX10 (and even DX9) as well. So currently these won't even load on DXVK.
I doubt DXUP will help much here - since it appears to be just a hacky workaround... And apparently nobody can build it (using MingW anyway)... :shock:

Bob
De1m0s
Level 2
Level 2

Post by De1m0s »

For me, i doesn't work correct; i can start DS3, begin a new game, this works so far. But ingame, i get only strange colors. Everything exept the player is light yellow and orange.
Linux Mint 18.2
GTX970 with Nvidia-driver 386
wine-staging 3.7
DXVK 0.50 (tried also 0.42)
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

This doesn't really belong here, but you should have read the projects wiki:
Nvidia
390.xx and older: Not supported, please use at least 396.18.07.
De1m0s
Level 2
Level 2

Post by De1m0s »

Hey, that worked! :D
Thank you very much, you made my day.

I did not read the wiki; and my system did not showed me new drivers I had to update the ppa-list to get them.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

Bob Wya wrote: I'm not sure how relevant DX12 is going to be in the long term... Are there a lot of DX12 titles out there I don't know about? :lol:

I know DXVK is getting a lot of work - but I find that Wine Staging plus the (also unofficial) PBA patchset has significantly less issues. DXVK is more performant for some games - but it appears to have a lot of issues still. E.g. with graphical effects not getting loaded - which causes sound loops in games (I know of 2 examples) and broken textures. Of course DXVK is in an impressive state, given how early it is in the development cycle!

Obviously, as has been pointed out many times, DXVK only does the DX11->VK translation. Many games leverage DX10 (and even DX9) as well. So currently these won't even load on DXVK.
I doubt DXUP will help much here - since it appears to be just a hacky workaround... And apparently nobody can build it (using MingW anyway)... :shock:

Bob
Nope, there are not a lot of DX12 ONLY titles out there, so for now, you can still use DX11 on most titles :)

I would argue tho, that doing DX -> Vulkan would be more optimal than DX -> OpenGL.. Because titles being "ever" made for OpenGL again seems like a thing of the past imo. The DXVK dev's have already made nVidia implement Vulkan stuff and improve the Vulkan driver.

Development on the DXUP project seems as a slow one, so i am not entirely sure about that.. Was able to compile it in VS2017 by following the howto posted there, but cant get it to work with eg. Unigine Tropics (That does not work with wined3d either, so not really any change..) I am able to play World of Warcraft with the DXVK "fake" DX10 support flag and that's a definate + :)