Program that only starts from network drives

Questions about Wine on Linux
Soliko

Program that only starts from network drives

Post by Soliko »

Hi,

I'm trying to run this program. It's educational software for German schools.

You're supposed to copy the program data to a Windows network share and then all PCs start it from that network share or drive. The executable checks if it is being run from a network drive and doesn't start if it detects that it is being run from a local drive, even on Windows.

However even if I symlink a drive from the dosdevices directory to a CIFS mount, all programs ran using WINE detect it as a local drive, so it doesn't start.
I also tried using the winecfg->Drives->Advanced->Type dialog to set the drive type to "Network share", but that is detected as a local drive too.
I also tried the dosdevices/unc method but it doesn't seem to be implemented.

So my question is: Is there currently a way to simulate a drive being a network drive?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Program that only starts from network drives

Post by Bob Wya »

Soliko wrote:...
However even if I symlink a drive from the dosdevices directory to a CIFS mount, all programs ran using WINE detect it as a local drive, so it doesn't start.
I also tried using the winecfg->Drives->Advanced->Type dialog to set the drive type to "Network share", but that is detected as a local drive too.
Can you post a terminal log of your MusiX application.
Please make sure:
  • you are starting the application executable from a path outside the WINEPREFIX
  • this path is mapped with a DOS drive letter in you WINEPREFIX
  • this DOS drive is marked as a Networked drive
See: WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)?

I'd start a forum thread with a title like "MusiX: only runnable on a network drive".
It's always best to include the application title in a Wine forum thread.
The steady stream of forum threads like "my program doesn't work" are really hard to wade through / keep track of... :roll:

Also make sure you are using Wine Development 3.6 or Wine Staging 3.6 - for your (unspecified) Linux distribution...
See WineHQ Download.

You should have stated your Linux distribution and Wine version in your first post.

Bob
Soliko

Re: Program that only starts from network drives

Post by Soliko »

It turns out that the issue was due to a problem with the softwares activation mechanism and not WINE.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
The thread can be closed.