Getting Wine to install a Setup.msi file

Questions about Wine on Linux
Marc

Getting Wine to install a Setup.msi file

Post by Marc »

Hi - I am somewhat new to using Wine and tried to use it to install a program I need on my Linux OpenSuSE 42.2 laptop. Didn't get very far and error messages not all that informative. Can someone tell me how to go about debugging this and making further progress?

(I am not sure what the complaints are about using NVIDIA drivers but I know that when I tried to use the Nouveau alternative driver it made my laptop very unhappy, so I do NOT want to go down that rabbit hole again, and I kinda doubt it has anything to do with this failure I am seeing about the Winlink RMS Express Setup.msi file. FYI this does install just fine under Windows 7 and 10.)

Code: Select all

wine RMS\ Express\ Setup.msi 
wine: Bad EXE format for Z:\home\marc\Winlink\RMS Express Setup.msi.
marc@marcslaptop:~/Winlink> err:winediag:xrandr12_init_modes Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
err:winediag:xrandr12_init_modes Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead

Code: Select all

marc@marcslaptop:~/Winlink> wine --version
wine-1.8.6
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Getting Wine to install a Setup.msi file

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Problem here is, you're trying to run a msi file. See the user guide for more info.

BTW: Your wine version is old. We're already at 3.x now, you should update.