Doom (2016) does not work on wine 3.4

Questions about Wine on Linux
vityafx
Level 2
Level 2

Doom (2016) does not work on wine 3.4

Post by vityafx »

I played doom a year ago successfully, installed in the december of 2016. I have tried to run it again today but I have weird error:
02a2:err:module:import_dll Library vulkan-1.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\s\\games\\steamapps\\common\\DOOM\\DOOMx64vk.exe") not found
02a2:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"Z:\\s\\games\\steamapps\\common\\DOOM\\DOOMx64vk.exe" failed, status c0000135
More than a year ago it worked perfectly fine. But now it does not. Could anyone help me please?
vityafx
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Doom (2016) does not work on wine 3.4

Post by vityafx »

Could not find “edit” button. My system is latest archlinux, Vulkan installed and supported (1060 gtx). Moreover, I could play a year ago with exactly this configuration.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

vityafx wrote:I played doom a year ago successfully, installed in the december of 2016. I have tried to run it again today but I have weird error:
02a2:err:module:import_dll Library vulkan-1.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\s\\games\\steamapps\\common\\DOOM\\DOOMx64vk.exe") not found
02a2:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"Z:\\s\\games\\steamapps\\common\\DOOM\\DOOMx64vk.exe" failed, status c0000135
More than a year ago it worked perfectly fine. But now it does not. Could anyone help me please?
You would have been running Doom 2016 with the old Wine Staging Vulkan implementation (which was a hack).
You clearly haven't read the FAQ about the new Wine Vulkan implementation by Roderick Colenbrander.

Anyway I'd try again with the new Wine 3.5 release - as Roderick Colenbrander has implemented a simple vulkan-1.dll shim library.
So you can choose to use this new builtin version of this dll or the Windows Vulkan library native version.
The new builtin vulkan-1.dll library should be sufficient to run Doom 2016.

It's only "fancy stuff", like layers (e.g. Steam Vulkan overlay on top of a Vulkan rendered game), that should require the full Windows Vulkan library.

Bob
vityafx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vityafx »

Bob Wya wrote:
vityafx wrote:I played doom a year ago successfully, installed in the december of 2016. I have tried to run it again today but I have weird error:
You would have been running Doom 2016 with the old Wine Staging Vulkan implementation (which was a hack).
You clearly haven't read the FAQ about the new Wine Vulkan implementation by Roderick Colenbrander.

Anyway I'd try again with the new Wine 3.5 release - as Roderick Colenbrander has implemented a simple vulkan-1.dll shim library.
So you can choose to use this new builtin version of this dll or the Windows Vulkan library native version.
The new builtin vulkan-1.dll library should be sufficient to run Doom 2016.

It's only "fancy stuff", like layers (e.g. Steam Vulkan overlay on top of a Vulkan rendered game), that should require the full Windows Vulkan library.

Bob
Thanks for your help! Yes, it starts fine with the wine 3.5.1 but it does not work - it only shows a black window surface. No sound, no interactions, nothing more. Should I do something else?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

vityafx wrote:...
Thanks for your help! Yes, it starts fine with the wine 3.5.1 but it does not work - it only shows a black window surface. No sound, no interactions, nothing more. Should I do something else?
There is no "wine 3.5.1" version - I presume you mean Wine 3.5?
  • What OS / Linux Distribution are you running?
  • What Wine package repository are you using?
Thanks
Bob
vityafx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vityafx »

Bob Wya wrote:
There is no "wine 3.5.1" version - I presume you mean Wine 3.5?
  • What OS / Linux Distribution are you running?
  • What Wine package repository are you using?
Thanks
Bob
Yes, I meant 3.5, sorry. "wine 3.5-1" - is the archlinux package name. As I have already told, I use archlinux. Don't know exactly what does "wine packaging repository" mean.
About wine logs - I can see the only line related to the DOOM is:

Code: Select all

0201:err:module:import_dll Library mfc140u.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\s\\games\\steamapps\\common\\DOOM\\CChromaEditorLibrary.dll") not found
Because there is a lot of constantly writing spam in new version of wine.

Full wine log: http://rgho.st/private/6TDsPhrBk/f0ab17 ... 75a8b106fa
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Code: Select all

0201:err:module:import_dll Library mfc140u.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\s\\games\\steamapps\\common\\DOOM\\CChromaEditorLibrary.dll") not found
Sorry - just checking that your Wine version was built with full Wine-Vulkan support...

Anyway that's an easy issue. :lol:

See: WineHQ Bug 44856 - DOOM 2016 needs mfc140u.dll ('winetricks vcrun2015' is a workaround).

I've just linked that bug against WineHQ AppDB: DOOM(2016).

Bob
vityafx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vityafx »

You are really nice. I could not find this somehow. Probably I was looking incorrectly :) Thanks much, it works now!