Visual C++ Redistributable Package needed at all?

Questions about Wine on Linux
electricnight
Level 2
Level 2

Visual C++ Redistributable Package needed at all?

Post by electricnight »

i have wine 3.3 x64 installed along with dotnet20sp2 x64. so far, all applications that are demanding vcrun2003-2008 are just working flawlessly.

now here is my question: are vcrun redists needed at all and if so, which version actually is?
dimesio

Re: Visual C++ Redistributable Package needed at all?

Post by dimesio »

If your applications are working without native vcrun, don't install it.
electricnight
Level 2
Level 2

Post by electricnight »

thank you dimesio.

they are working without vcrun and i dont plan to install any of them.

i am not sure about the actuality of this site - https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=5766

there you can find an interresting note:

NOTE: There is an ongoing effort in Wine to provide a complete Microsoft Visual C++runtime library replacement - removing the need of installing the Microsoft VC++ redistributables packages. This is a work in progress hence you might still need to install Microsoft VC++ runtime.

If the application uses MFC library (Microsoft Foundation Classes), there will be no replacement hence installation of Microsoft Redistributables is a requirement for applications and games to work!

i am not sure about mfc (part of which vcrun version?), but it would be great to see, which vcruns are actually not needed anymore.
lorn10

Post by lorn10 »

Sorry to warm up this old topic. ;-)

However, as the original OP asked it would be really really useful to get some more information regarding the overall status of already implemented MS Visual C++ libraries (& functions) in Wine. As of 2021 it looks that builtin Visual C++ support is present in Wine up to Visual C++ 2010. That support seems to be extended in newer Wine versions, for example Wine 6.3 introduced vcomp140.dll.C2VectParallel which is part of Visual C++ 2015 to 2019.

If I understand this matter correctly, then this builtin support will replace the original Visual C++ redistributable files form Microsoft. The only features which will not be implemented in Wine are the MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes) libraries. That includes for example the mfc40, mfc42, mfc70, mfc71, mfc80, mfc90, mfc100, mfc110, mfc120 and mfc140 dll files. These must be installed manually or through winetricks, like winetricks -q mfc140.

Whatever, I am currently in a situation where the builtin vcomp140.dll.C2VectParallel function has most likely broken the Visual C++ 2015 to 2019 compatibility of the Xbox Emulator Cxbx-Reloaded. But there may exist also other regressions. It is confirmed that Cxbx-Reloaded worked in Wine 5.x builds with native Visual C++ 2017 libraries quite good and stable. Will look somewhat deeper into that matter and post a bug report.