Raspbian Stretch with Qemu-x86 and Wine - problems

Questions about Wine on Linux
gmenga

Raspbian Stretch with Qemu-x86 and Wine - problems

Post by gmenga »

Recently problems to install Wine on raspberry pi have been solved
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pi-qemu-wine/
The starting demo notepad.exe works, along with some utilities such as winecfg, wine start (open a msdos control window), wine explorer (open an iconic windows-like file browser).
However, I wasn't able to run any other new program that I tried to download or install in.
I tried to execute several kinds of program from simple old *.exe like "Hello world" to old programs to be installed through *.msi (installation successful).
The file were on a USB dongle, or directly on the starting icon appearing on the desktop when installed.
Through winecfg the peripheral was installed, then the file was found by the wine explorer and executed by double clicking on it. Or with wine start, going to the directory and executing wine filename.exe, or, finally, directly clicking on the desktop icon.
When operating on icons It always appeared a window with a red cross and an OK button sometime with written on it "denied access", and closing it another window with "a Windows program doesn't exist configured to open this type of file". When operating on a msdos control window "can't recognize 'wine filename.exe' as an internal or external command , or a batch script.
I'm wondering of the differences between x64 or x86 compiled programs.
I'm new to wine, may I have missed something in the process.
Can you point me to some existing proven simple program an indicate me complete path to run it?
Giuseppe