Problem with installing Benq Pointwrite software

Questions about Wine on Linux
tomilino

Problem with installing Benq Pointwrite software

Post by tomilino »

I've tried installing the software PointWrite_PW21U_Pen_Win (2.4.1.1) (https://business-display.benq.com/en/fi ... nload.html) on Ubuntu 16.04 with wine.

This software provides drivers to run an interactive pen on a board. The pen can then be used like a mouse to write on a whiteboard.

Is there any chance to get this running with wine? At my school, we have installed Ubuntu on all computers and I don't really want to switch to Windows...

Thanks for your help!
tomilino

Re: Problem with installing Benq Pointwrite software

Post by tomilino »

Here's a detailed description of the installation process: The installation starts as it does in Windows and doesn't show any error messages during the whole process. In Windows, however, a cmd-window pops up during the installation, which obviously doesn't happen during the wine installation in Ubuntu.

After starting the program in Ubuntu, I get the error message "The driver did not install correctly", see screenshot. An icon of the program appears at the menu bar (2. screenshot), where "configuration", "calibration" etc. are greyed out.

Hope for some help, thanks a lot!
Attachments
icon at the menu bar
icon at the menu bar
Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-03-16 07-50-35.png (13.76 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
error message
error message
Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-03-16 07-49-42.png (10.35 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Windows hardware drivers don't work in Wine. Hardware has to be working in the underlying system for Wine to see it.
tomilino

Post by tomilino »

Thank you very much for your reply! Is there any way to get these Windows hardware drivers installed in Ubuntu?