OpenAL seems to do nothing

Questions about Wine on Linux
Cknight70

OpenAL seems to do nothing

Post by Cknight70 »

Hello, I am trying to get the OpenAL in Thief Gold to work. It is a game from the 90s, and sounds significantly better when using OpenAL sound when in Windows. In Wine however, selecting OpenAL in the in game menu does nothing, the audio sounds exactly the same as having it off, and the EAX is still grayed out (pictures for reference) I am new to Wine, and have not changed any Wine related configuration, but doing a search of the forums, wiki, and mailing list didn't bring up any relevant results, most older than 2009, so I'm not sure they would be relevant.

I installed OpenAL with the Windows installer into Wine, I also have an Openal.dll in the game's folder, and have openal and lib32-openal packages installed on my Arch installation. I can confirm the game works as intended with OpenAL on Windows.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: OpenAL seems to do nothing

Post by Bob Wya »

@Cknight70

Take a look at the write-up I did for: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Lost Alpha on WineHQ AppDB (Audio Quality Fix).
The instructions are specific to fix that game only - but I'm sure you can adapt them for Thief!

You probably need the Wine Staging to support EAX (but only version 1).
See Wine Staging...

Bob