Non-ASCII file names and different LANG values

Questions about Wine on Linux
xuu

Non-ASCII file names and different LANG values

Post by xuu »

My system runs in English with the LANG environment variable set to en_US.UTF-8. Unfortunately some Windows applications use different encodings for their texts (in my case ja_JP.ujis). Normally these applications also come with executables or directories being named with non-ASCII characters.
I can get correct text display by setting the LANG variable to the corresponding value. The problem is now that wine can't run the executable when there are non-ASCII characters in the path. To reproduce this, consider:

Code: Select all

cp putty.exe テスト.exe
LANG=ja_JP.ujis wine ./テスト.exe
Wine will refuse to start with something like "wine: cannot find ./?E??E????.exe".
My question is how do I run my non UTF-8 executables without having to rename everything (which sometimes isn't possible)?
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Non-ASCII file names and different LANG values

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Works fine for me when using "LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8". Can you provide a demo japanese textfile that doesn't work with this?
xuu

Re: Non-ASCII file names and different LANG values

Post by xuu »

Okay thank you. Using ja_JP.UTF-8 works fine and I can't find any program right now that doesn't work with ja_JP.UTF-8. I don't know why I thought I had to use ujis.