Alan Wake does not work on wine-2.21 staging

Questions about Wine on Linux
vityafx
Level 2
Level 2

Alan Wake does not work on wine-2.21 staging

Post by vityafx »

I tried to install different version of alan wake but no one of them worked. The error is always the same:

1. Alan Wake: Syntax error in file "memory" at line 4.
First error
First error
wine1.png (9.61 KiB) Viewed 5488 times
2. Alan Wake's American Nightmare: "Shader compilation errors (entry point main): memory:1:287: error: syntax error, unexpected NEW_IDENTIFIER
Second error
Second error
I don't have any idea how to fix this. Could anyone help me please?
dimesio

Re: Alan Wake does not work on wine-2.21 staging

Post by dimesio »

2.21 is outdated and the staging branch has been retired. Try the latest development release, currently 3.2, and if that doesn't fix it, post terminal output. https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_can_I_g ... tput.29.3F
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

vityafx wrote:...
I don't have any idea how to fix this. Could anyone help me please?
I tested Alan Wake on my system (with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M) - it runs OK both with Wine Staging 2.21 and the latest Wine Development 3.2 version.
Using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX - set to Windows 7 globally.
A few graphical glitches at higher settings - but nothing too major. 8)

Can you post a Wine debug log of running the game with:

Code: Select all

export WINEDEBUG=+timestamp,+tid,+loaddll,+wgl
wine start 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam.exe' -no-cef-sandbox -applaunch 108710 &>~/wine_steam_alan_wake_log.txt
See: WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)?

The suggested command is only applicable for the Steam version of Alan Wake (using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX).

Ta
Bob
vityafx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vityafx »

Guys, thank you for your response. I did not understand, do you mean I should run the development version of wine (compile it from sources and run) or just the latest available one?
Also, I have updated my wine to the `3.2` version, set `Window 7` globally and the errors are still there. However, I do not run the game via Steam but using the retail version instead. Log is only from the stderr because the stdout was empty. However, I could not add the file - the `log` and `txt` extensions are not allowed, and it did not allow me to upload the file without the extension at all. So I uploaded it to a hosting.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

vityafx wrote:Guys, thank you for your response. I did not understand, do you mean I should run the development version of wine (compile it from sources and run) or just the latest available one?
NO... If you're not running Gentoo or Arch (etc.) - then you don't just compile packages from source for no reason what-so-ever!
Especially if you don't know what you're doing! :shock:

Both dimesio and I have stated to test with the Wine Development release 3.2... Pretty clear!! No mention of compilation.
vityafx wrote: Also, I have updated my wine to the `3.2` version, set `Window 7` globally and the errors are still there. However, I do not run the game via Steam but using the retail version instead. Log is only from the stderr because the stdout was empty. However, I could not add the file - the `log` and `txt` extensions are not allowed, and it did not allow me to upload the file without the extension at all. So I uploaded it to a hosting.
Since you mentioned you're running a retail copy of Alan Wake - this is somewhat concerning...

2988.028:000f:fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"ArcGIS License Manager" failed to start: 2
But I don't see any mention of the retail version having DRM, anywhere online... So hopefully we can ignore this!

Also you need to fix this:

2988.472:0009:err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"l3codeca.acm": libmpg123.so.0: невозможно открыть разделяемый объектный файл: Нет такого файла или каталога
(if you're using Ubuntu it's probably the native 32-bit Linux library package: libmpg123:i386 ; that you're missing)

I can't see any graphics-related issues your terminal log... But what with you having a GTX 1060 - I'm not surprised!
You might something like a d3dcompiler_43.dll override... I'll retest my copy in a clean WINEPREFIX - to see exactly what overrides it needs.
Watch this space!! 8)

Bob
vityafx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vityafx »

I am on archlinux. Installed libmpg123 (lib32-mpg123 package) but no success still. I have enable d3d9_43 in the winetricks before posting here, so it does not work too.

"ArcGIS License Manager" - is about another program, it seems it is in wine startup somehow, this message is shown everytime I launch wine.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

vityafx wrote:... I have enable d3d9_43 in the winetricks before posting here, so it does not work too. ...
rant

How exactly does d3d9_43.dll = d3dcompiler_43.dll ?? :roll:

These are independent / separate Windows DirectX libraries.

Seriously double check what is being recommended to you. Don't just assume you've read something correctly.

/rant

Stupidly I didn't checkout the linked bugs on the Alan Wake AppDB page...
This is the relevant one: Bug 31701 - Alan Wake crashes on start without native d3dx9_36.

So:

winetricks -q d3dcompiler_43 d3dx9_36
Should sort out your Alan Wake issues!

Bob
vityafx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vityafx »

Bob Wya, really. Thank you very much, I was wrong. The game starts and works fine, but there is no sound. Is there anything for fixing it there?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

vityafx wrote:Bob Wya, really. Thank you very much, I was wrong. The game starts and works fine, but there is no sound. Is there anything for fixing it there?
Yup, I can confirm it randomly starts with or without sound (generally without). It does seem to just randomly cut-out in-game as well.
I'll try and dig into the sound problems. FYI probably won't be this week - as I'm busy with work.

Looking at: Bug 33463 - Alan Wake : No sound in cinematics ... quite frankly doesn't help!
If anything things seem to be getting worse (if the issues before were just with the opening cinematics)... :cry:

Bob
vityafx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vityafx »

I have just relaunched it and the sound appeared. There are also mouse problems (probably the developers bound the sensitivity to the frame rate or to the internal timer so it is fast or slow depending on the FPS).
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

vityafx wrote:I have just relaunched it and the sound appeared. There are also mouse problems (probably the developers bound the sensitivity to the frame rate or to the internal timer so it is fast or slow depending on the FPS).
I'm consistently finding that the in-game audio does not work at all... The cinematics and introductory video audio does.
This does match your experience?

Ta
Bob
vityafx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vityafx »

Bob Wya wrote:
vityafx wrote:I have just relaunched it and the sound appeared. There are also mouse problems (probably the developers bound the sensitivity to the frame rate or to the internal timer so it is fast or slow depending on the FPS).
I'm consistently finding that the in-game audio does not work at all... The cinematics and introductory video audio does.
This does match your experience?

Ta
Bob
I launched it twice and the first time there was no sound, and the second time the sound was all the time and normal.

Overall experience: fps drops, sensitivity issues and very rare visual glitches (I saw only one - the lighting problem when the camera stays behind a light emitter).