Looks like Wine breaks my sound interface...

Questions about Wine on Linux
SHN42

Looks like Wine breaks my sound interface...

Post by SHN42 »

Hello,

First of all, sorry for my english.
I'll do my best, but I'm french and my english is not really fluent.

I'm using Wine since several years and all worked pretty well until yesterday.

I'm using Debian Buster

Code: Select all

uname -a
Linux ASRock 4.14.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.14.13-1 (2018-01-14) x86_64 GNU/Linux
with an audio device (the Intel one)

lspci | grep "Audio"
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
using firmware CA0132

dmesg | grep snd
[    1.893093] snd_hda_intel 0000:01:00.1: Disabling MSI
[    1.893096] snd_hda_intel 0000:01:00.1: Handle vga_switcheroo audio client
[    1.918605] snd_hda_codec_ca0132 hdaudioC0D0: autoconfig for CA0132: line_outs=1 (0xb/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0) type:line
[    1.918607] snd_hda_codec_ca0132 hdaudioC0D0:    speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[    1.918607] snd_hda_codec_ca0132 hdaudioC0D0:    hp_outs=1 (0x10/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[    1.918608] snd_hda_codec_ca0132 hdaudioC0D0:    mono: mono_out=0x0
[    1.918608] snd_hda_codec_ca0132 hdaudioC0D0:    dig-out=0xc/0x0
[    1.918609] snd_hda_codec_ca0132 hdaudioC0D0:    inputs:
[    1.918610] snd_hda_codec_ca0132 hdaudioC0D0:      Mic=0x12
[    1.918610] snd_hda_codec_ca0132 hdaudioC0D0:      Line=0x11
[    1.926166] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1b.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware ctefx.bin
[    2.544168] snd_hda_codec_ca0132 hdaudioC0D0: ca0132 DSP downloaded and running
[    2.844285] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1b.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware ctefx.bin
[    3.436320] snd_hda_codec_ca0132 hdaudioC0D0: ca0132 DSP downloaded and running
The sound interfaces configured with PulseAudio and all works fine.
And Wine deals with every things without troubles.

BUT, for the needs of a game, I've had to set a new regedit key :
//HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Drivers/Audio = alsa

With this key added, the game work fine and the sound was good in the game (with Wine), and on my Debian.

The things gone wrong at the next reboot : no more sound.
At all.

When I look at the output interfaces, the "Line out" was replaced by a "Line in" (in the output interfaces !!)
Line in = Entrée ligne in French, and "Sortie" means "output".

I know it really strange, but I've reinstalled my Debian from scratch and sound works well until I set this regedit key one more time.

Is it possible Wine changes Pulseaudio "sinks" ? Or Alsa interfaces ?
Any ideas to get sound back without a full reinstal (again) ?
I've tried to remove (and purge) PulseAudio and firmware-misc-nonfree (where the CA0132 is), nothing works...

Any clues ?

Best regards,
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Looks like Wine breaks my sound interface...

Post by Bob Wya »

@SHN42

Uhhmm, not really... You broke it!!
Using user-space ALSA and Pulseaudio together simultaneously is not a good idea.
It's irrelevant what application you force to directly interface with user-space ALSA.

If you need to disable PA for a specific Wine application then you want to prefix it with:

pasuspender wine ...
Wine should then automatically fall back to using the user-space ALSA driver.

Although it would probably be better to retest your problematic Wine game with Pulseaudio and troubleshoot the issue.
See: Arch Wiki: PulseAudio/Troubleshooting.

I presume if you're on Debian testing - then your version of Wine is up-to-date (3.0 - ish)??

Bob
SHN42

Post by SHN42 »

Hello Bob Wya,

Yes, Debian testing (Busters), then Wine is up to date (3.0.1)... and no sound at all right now :/

I know using ALSA an PulseAudio simultaneously is not a good idea, but it looks like the only one to get the "input" guitard detected :
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... ngId=97909

Well... the game is not really important.

Any chances to get back my sound on Debian without a full reinstal ?
I've tried to remove & purge Pulseaudio and reinstall, it get the same config'...

Thanks
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

SHN42 wrote: Yes, Debian testing (Busters), then Wine is up to date (3.0.1)...
There is no such Wine version yet. The current stable release is 3.0 and the current development release is 3.2.

You didn't mention where you got Wine from. If it's not the WineHQ packages, try those.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

SHN42 wrote:Hello Bob Wya,

Yes, Debian testing (Busters), then Wine is up to date (3.0.1)... and no sound at all right now :/
You probably mean Wine 3.0 (there hasn't been a stable point release yet on the 3.x branch). 8)

SHN42 wrote: Any chances to get back my sound on Debian without a full reinstall ?
I've tried to remove & purge Pulseaudio and reinstall, it get the same config'...
That's the really the wrong way to fix audio problems... Especially the re-installing the OS bit!

Purging and re-installing Pulseaudio and ALSA packages probably won't help either.
Since any configuration files will remain in place.

I'd suggest taking a look at all the configuration files ALSA generates - that may be affecting Pulseaudio when you try to re-start it.
See: Arch Wiki: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture / 3 Configuration.
You can safely delete any generated ALSA configuration files - if you are using Pulseaudio globally.

There are also some useful Pulseaudio troubleshooting tools for the terminal...
E.g.

pacmd info
pactl list short
Which will output far more information then you'll see in the pavucontrol GUI.

I've been through the pre-Pulseaudio days... Using ALSA was a total PITA... :cry:

Bob
SHN42

Post by SHN42 »

Ok, my bad, it' not a dot...
It's 3.0-1

That's the version on the official Debian repository :
https://packages.debian.org/buster/wine
Bob Wya wrote: Purging and re-installing Pulseaudio and ALSA packages probably won't help either.
Since any configuration files will remain in place.
That's not what "purge" option is for ?
Removing the configuration files ?

And I've no Alsa package... Looks like it's a part of the kernel...

Anyway, if I remove the .conf files, I've no more cards detected and Alsa don't regenerate them.

So I've boot with a liveCD, got sound, got .conf files and put them in the right place in my HD.
Reboot and get sound :)

Thanks you for your help and time !

Last thing, any clues to get the Rocksmith input cable detected by Wine ?
All the tutos says "Put Audio = alsa", but looks like it's not the most "safe" way :D

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... ngId=97909
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

SHN42 wrote: That's not what "purge" option is for ?
Removing the configuration files ?
Theoretically yes. Or atleast the default config files. Lot of the times the driver/app/library/whatever will generate configs based on your hardware or whatever, and sadly the "purge" function cant really pick those up.

Eg: (for ubuntu, but somewhat similar)
Install nvidia driver by apt-get install nvidia-390. Driver gets installed + libraries + various config files.
I reboot and load the nvidia control panel. Set up monitor and some schtuff.. This is saved to a config file.

apt-get purge nvidia-390
will remove the driver, libraries and default scripts, but NOT my "custom" config i created with the nvidia control panel.

Usually its good enough to "purge", but you might still end up with your user config someplace :)