Hello, I have a doubt... for Wine and question very serious.

Questions about Wine on Linux
OctavioA

Hello, I have a doubt... for Wine and question very serious.

Post by OctavioA »

Hello, I am a fan of Linux from Argentina. Sorry in advance for my level of english.

My doubt is: ¿Wine is fully compatible with Nvidia Gforce GTX 980ti of 6GB of video? and this card have Directx12...

This videocard of my computer I use for games in Windows actually, but I want to be able to use it in linux soon.

I await an answer, thank you very much and I wish very good year for all. :D
Vader
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Hello, I have a doubt... for Wine and question very seri

Post by Vader »

It should be if you have 3.0 and higher, but don't take my word for it and maybe try testing with a Virtual machine
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

It should work with your GPU as long as your graphics driver works, though I'm not sure how mature Direct3D12 support in wine is.
Vader wrote:and maybe try testing with a Virtual machine
Testing 3D in a virtual machine won't help much, VMs got their on 3D issues.
Vader
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Vader »

That's true, buts its worth a try :)
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

OctavioA wrote:Hello, I am a fan of Linux from Argentina. Sorry in advance for my level of english.

My doubt is: ¿Wine is fully compatible with Nvidia Gforce GTX 980ti of 6GB of video? and this card have Directx12...

This videocard of my computer I use for games in Windows actually, but I want to be able to use it in linux soon.

I await an answer, thank you very much and I wish very good year for all. :D
Yes, the graphics card is supported.
No, there is no DX12 support as of now. (Project is started)
Yes, you can play SOME games, but a lot does not work.

If you play "many" different games, stay on windows. If you play 2-3 games , search for them here https://appdb.winehq.org/ If the info posted on the game you are looking for is 1+ years old (since last post), chances are it does not work. Gold or better "rating" from a RECENT wine version (wine-2.20 or wine-3.0) most likely work.. ratings from wine 1.x and older is unreliable.

Games that are "old" and no longer seeing updates from the game company have a greater chance to work if you report problems/bugs. Games that are "new" and constantly gets updates/addons or whatever also break often.

Yes, it was not the most "positive speach", but from your post you did not really indicate that "Hey, i am a coder happy to spend hours upon hours fiddling with source files and compiling myself to get things working", and realistically speaking, its not "just press this button and it works" like it is in windows :)