Wine - Playonlinux - Office 2007 - Printer - Ctrl-V Crtl-C

Questions about Wine on Linux
jnao

Wine - Playonlinux - Office 2007 - Printer - Ctrl-V Crtl-C

Post by jnao »

Hek
First of all, let me know if I should post this question on the Playonlinux forum rather than here.

I run Linux Mint Mate 18.3 (64 bits) on a computer, Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 (64 bits) on another.

On both computers I have the same problem:

I installed Wine through Playonlinux so that Playonlinux took care of all the wineprefix 32 bits installation issues of the only piece of software I need, namely MS Office 2007 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).

I have three problems:

1) I cannot specify to Linux Mint that the .docx, .xlsx and .pptx should, by default, be opened with the MS applications under Wine.
2) I cannot access the printers to which I have access with my native linux applications
3) I cannot copy/paste from native linux applications to the wine MS applications.

Hopefully somebody has had these problems and the solution is already out there!

Thanks a lot
dimesio

Re: Wine - Playonlinux - Office 2007 - Printer - Ctrl-V Crtl

Post by dimesio »

jnao wrote: First of all, let me know if I should post this question on the Playonlinux forum rather than here.
POL isn't supported here, and in the case of MS Office, their install scripts often use obsolete Wine versions and add unnecessary overrides.
1) I cannot specify to Linux Mint that the .docx, .xlsx and .pptx should, by default, be opened with the MS applications under Wine.
Those file associations are normally made by winemenubuilder, but I believe POL disables it by default. You should be able to make them yourself using whatever tools your desktop environment provides.
2) I cannot access the printers to which I have access with my native linux applications
The most common cause of that is missing the needed 32 bit CUPS libraries on the host system, and it seems to be particularly common on Linux Mint.
3) I cannot copy/paste from native linux applications to the wine MS applications.
I have Office 2007, and copying/pasting both text and images from native Firefox to Word, Excel, and Powerpoint works fine here in Wine 3.1. However, dragging and dropping doesn't work; that's https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24289.