Need new WINE version ----Lubuntu

Questions about Wine on Linux
HELPME!
Level 1
Level 1

Need new WINE version ----Lubuntu

Post by HELPME! »

ok, 1st the basics: (XP user, fairly new to Linux)
Linux 4
Ubunu 16.04 (Xenial Xerus)
LXDE desktop
(already spent many hours on this!)

Had WINE installed (easy way?) version # from prompt indicated wine-1.6.2 [software center]
long story short----Lots of problems ;
Best Idea I found was newer version (installing/upgrading is a *NIGHTMARE* compared 2 Win XP!)

instructions from:
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
do *not* work [ugh]

I get
"E: Unable to locate package winehq-stable"

Have gone to:
https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubunt ... nary-i386/
but no idea what to download or install
Please help!

Oh, b4 "uninstalling" wine (which is hopefully done at this point) ran software updater, (& everything was fine) but now after trying to install/update WINE that's having problems too! [UGH!]

PS Generally what works on Ubuntu (if you know that) works on Lubuntu also. FYI
thanks 4 any help.
spending hours & hours & going in circles.
HELPME!
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Need new WINE version ----Lubuntu

Post by HELPME! »

(sorry, new user, don't know how to edit previous post)

*Finally* was able to get another version installed using the
"Installing without Internet" instructions.
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
Got Wine version 2.4 (was hoping for V 3, but don't know how to get newer version)

Unfortunately, using that install method, I lost everything in my WINE menu except WINEtricks
----and so far, none of the ideas I've found work on getting everything back.

Would still like help with:
1) Getting newer WINE v installed (look to be many bugfixes etc) ---ideally v 3.0 &
2) Getting it done in such a way where menu works properly (WINE version from Software center worked just fine! [on the start menu anyway])
Struggling great deal w command prompt, mostly have to copy & paste
THANKS FOR ANY HELP!
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@HELPME!

It's a really bad idea for new users to go cold turkey on MS Windows and only use Ubuntu (or any other Linux distribution for that matter).
I tried to live in Ubuntu for a few years... It's really hard because binary distributions are a PITA with package breakage... Then there were bugs that Canonical decided not to fix and AMD deciding not to support their 4 year old graphics cards anymore... etc.

I took a number of years of dual booting before I made the switch to 99% Gentoo (in a multiboot including Windows 10 and a sprinkling of other Linux distributions).
So I'd advise just dipping into Linux every week - in a structured fashion... Spend a few hours learning how your package manager works and what the command shell can do.
There are plenty of online resources for doing this. E.g. The Linux Command Line - A Book By William Shotts. It's much to paddle then drown! :lol:

Bob
HELPME!
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HELPME! »

Actually I have a dual-boot XP & Lubuntu.

Lots of warnings about XP being outdated, & some of my Online *Only* apps no longer support XP (who says updates R always a good thing!?!)
---so mostly I'm only doing internet based apps/games [Firefox works just fine!] since that's the most dangerous or no longer supported.

Not a good time in my life to learn a whole new OS [UGH!] ----not 2 mention WINE &/or virtualbox......
But I have very few good options at this point.

Trying to get WINE to work on at least a few things, otherwise I still have the "XP not supported" problem.

But yes you're right, very difficult! (and frustrating!)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@HELPME!

RE: your problems installing the WineHQ packages...
What's the output from:

Code: Select all

find /mnt/robs-rog-laptop/ubuntu/etc/apt/ \( -type f -name "sources.list" -o -type f -name "*.list" \) -print0 | xargs -0 cat -n

lsb_release -a
Just to check your repositories are setup correctly.

Please use the forum Code:

Code: Select all

Code
tags to delimit these blocks of terminal output.

RE Wine Desktop Integration... The WineHQ packages do not include these files (menu entries, icons, etc.)
I have distribution agnostic .desktop+icon files in separate repository for my Gentoo Wine package build scripts to reference...
These files will work fine on most other distributions - including Ubuntu (+flavours of).

See: Github: bobwya / wine-desktop-common.

Ta
Bob
HELPME!
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Need new/updated WINE version ----Lubuntu

Post by HELPME! »

Thanks Bob .

*FINALLY* Praise God was able to get (newer version) WINE [3.0!] installed yesterday---at least it shows up in the terminal & "WINE --version" anyway. [yes, nothing yet in menu like the old one]

Actually----in case anyone else asks with Ubuntu or Lubuntu---found this script to change the PPA:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
sudo apt-key add Release.key
sudo apt-add-repository https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
===========================================
After that, was able to install it from the Synaptic Pak Man [sys tools]

Will check out your script.

New to this forum.
Please feel fee to close this, sticky/post/whatever. In doing my research, ran across many MANY others w similar problems, so maybe in the right place there's somewhere this can help someone else.

Thanks again!

Abe
HELPME!
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HELPME! »

PS
your
"find /mnt/robs-rog-laptop/ubuntu/etc/apt/ \( -type f -name "sources.list" -o -type f -name "*.list" \) -print0 | xargs -0 cat -n"
gives:
"No such file or directory"
dimesio

Re: Need new/updated WINE version ----Lubuntu

Post by dimesio »

HELPME! wrote: Actually----in case anyone else asks with Ubuntu or Lubuntu---found this script to change the PPA:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
sudo apt-key add Release.key
sudo apt-add-repository https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
===========================================
I'm glad that worked for you, but I have to point out that what that script does is EXACTLY what the instructions on https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu say to do. So either you made a mistake when trying to follow them manually or you didn't really follow them at all.
HELPME!
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HELPME! »

Actually, you're wrong on both counts. I followed them *EXACTLY* (copy & paste, several tries)

Check again, page says:
"Then install one of the following packages:
Stable branch
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable

Development branch
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel

Staging branch
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-staging

*ALL* of which crash & i had to uninstall *EVERYTHING* & start from scratch.

Their scripts are outdated or messed up somewhere.
---like so many other WINE scripts. (have tried quite a few only to have to spend a ton of time cleaning up when they make a mess! )
HELPME!
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HELPME! »

Alas, I'm still too much of a newbie to understand the differences between the different install apps [far cry from Windows!]
Mostly had to learn by trial & error.

But I *DID* learn (at least in WINE's case, maybe different for other apps?) that "Software Center" while good news for old defaults was bad news for updates. (kept installing old version of WINE)

1 small problem solved, 101 to go...