WINE3.0 Ubuntu Bi-arch 32 bit 'make install' ERROR

Questions about Wine on Linux
Cracked Pane

WINE3.0 Ubuntu Bi-arch 32 bit 'make install' ERROR

Post by Cracked Pane »

Hello:

I'm trying to compile 32 bit wine3.0 in LXC per the wineHQ biarch page. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

I am not installing in my root DIR, I logged in on another user acct (gamer) that currently has Admin status, but I will revoke his admin status later.

64 bit compiled fine. 32 bit compiled OK in LXC, but when I used the 'make install' command, I got the following:

Code: Select all

...blah blah blah
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/gamer/dlls/acledit'
STRIPPROG="strip" /home/gamer/wine-git/tools/install-sh  dlls/acledit/acledit.dll.so /usr/local/lib/wine/acledit.dll.so
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/usr/local/lib/wine’: Permission denied
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/usr/local/lib/wine’: Permission denied
Makefile:1591: recipe for target 'dlls/acledit/install-lib' failed
make: *** [dlls/acledit/install-lib] Error 1
gamer@my32bitbox:~$ sudo make install
sudo: main: unable to allocate memory
gamer@my32bitbox:~$

Note: I have never been able to run the sudo command once logged into the container, even when I installed wine2.0 in the root DIR last year. Yes, I followed the biarch page directions to uninstall 2.0 before I started the 3.0 install.

I logged into my Root user acct, manually created the /usr/local/lib/wine DIR and changed the mode of /wine from 755 to 777 (permissions for Everyone). I ran 'make install' from the gamer LXC bitbox again and got the same error.

What to try?

Does wine have to be compiled/installed by the root account?
If so can I create prefixes in the gamer account without permission headaches?

Thanks.
Cracked Pane

Re: WINE3.0 Ubuntu Bi-arch 32 bit 'make install' ERROR

Post by Cracked Pane »

Hmmm

What other info can I add?

Root home DIR is encrypted.

gamer home DIR is NOT encrypted.

The whole mess is on a mirror RAID array, running LVM. Several of the standard linux system DIRs are on their own logical volume partition, but all that should all be invisible.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Looking up your sudo error there may be some bug happening: https://bugzilla.sudo.ws/show_bug.cgi?id=706

Running ssh with -t may be a workaround. If you're using ssh. If not? um. Maybe just 'su' for that part of the build? And/or make sure everything is up to date first. Probably some way to work around it one way or another.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

Not telling you what to do or not, but if you try to do a

sudo make install
while in the LXC container, it wont work anyway, as the install would only happen inside your container afaik.

Tbh i would not mess with custom-compiled binaries for wine as a system wide thing, and rather install it using the "prefix" option. If you follow the wiki you posted above, just add

--prefix=/home/gamer/wine-version-whatever
to all of your "configure" lines. When you do "make install" (as per the wiki) all the necessary binaries and dll's is in the /home/gamer/wine-version-whatever folder.

If you want to use that spesific version of wine when you run something the line would be something like:

WINEPREFIX="/home/gamer/yourwineprefix" /home/gamer/wine-version-whatever/bin/wine program.exe
If you ommit the "WINEPREFIX" bit, the default will be your $HOME/.wine folder.

Not really looked into building a .deb package from the install tho, but ofc that would be option #2 https://wiki.winehq.org/Packaging There is no easy "type-this" config for ubuntu .deb's in that page, but if you are feeling up to it, it CAN be done :) (Probably not that hard either...)
Cracked Pane

Post by Cracked Pane »

spoon0042

ssh ? for encrypted, remote host access? I'm just all inside the one tower at my desk.

I tried 'su'. Maybe LXC doesn't have this command in its vocabulary?

gamer@my32bitbox:~$ su make install
su: must be run from a terminal
gamer@my32bitbox:~$ su -c make install

Cybermax

After compiling the 32bit version of wine inside the LXC, the WineHQ bi-arch instructions say to INSTALL it INTO the container to force the last bit of the build. As root I was able to make install wine2.0 in the LXC last time. As 'gamer', I seem to be lacking permissions somehow.

Does using -prefix ...configure method make the finished prefix a stand alone, self supporting thing? Like if the prefix was on a flash drive, could I plug it into any linux machine and have the programs installed in the prefix run?

As I understand Ubuntu, wine 64 needs to be installed, then wine 32 to bring in the dll support for 32bit programs.

Thanks.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Cracked Pane wrote: I tried 'su'. Maybe LXC doesn't have this command in its vocabulary?

gamer@my32bitbox:~$ su make install
gamer@my32bitbox:~$ su -c make install
That's not how su is used, even on systems that use it, and Ubuntu doesn't; the root account is disabled by default. https://askubuntu.com/questions/444246/ ... -with-sudo