Can't change wine prefix

Questions about Wine on Linux
iVoid

Can't change wine prefix

Post by iVoid »

I've installed both wine and winetricks, and whenever I open winetricks I'm notified that I'm using a 64bit prefix.

I'd like to change to a 32bit prefix, but since there doesn't seem to be any option to do so through winetricks' GUI, I used the terminal command:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=path_to_wineprefix winecfg

Where, of course, I selected a proper path to the wineprefix instead of "path_to_wineprefix". The wineprefix seems to have been created, but I still get the same notification when I open winetricks, and the wineprefix I created doesn't appear on the list. The first prompt in winetricks says to "choose a wine prefix", so I don't understand why my created prefix doesn't show up...

Any help?
iVoid

Re: Can't change wine prefix

Post by iVoid »

Ah, forgot to mention: I'm running Lubuntu 17.10.

(Sorry, I don't seem to have permission to edit posts yet)
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

To use a wineprefix other than the default, for winetricks or anything else, you have to specify the wineprefix in the command line, just as you did when creating it, e.g.

Code: Select all

WINEPREFIX=/path/to/wineprefix winetricks
iVoid

Post by iVoid »

dimesio wrote:To use a wineprefix other than the default, for winetricks or anything else, you have to specify the wineprefix in the command line, just as you did when creating it, e.g.

Code: Select all

WINEPREFIX=/path/to/wineprefix winetricks
Thanks, understood. What about the right-click context menu? Can I change it or it always uses the default?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Winemenubuilder should save the correct wineprefix to the .desktop file when you install something with Wine, so right-clicking a file and choosing "Open with..." should work.
iVoid

Post by iVoid »

Thank you!