Where is wine staging 3.0

Questions about Wine on Linux
steveebey73742
Level 2
Level 2

Where is wine staging 3.0

Post by steveebey73742 »

As anyone who has run wine for any length of time knows, the World of Warrcraft Legion game will NOT run on wine stable, and requires several patches that are applied to the staging version. When can we expect to see a Wne 3.0 staging?
xman1

Re: Where is wine staging 3.0

Post by xman1 »

I second this. There used to be nearly monthly releases of staging and staging used to keep up with the current versions of Wine. Now I see nothing for some time.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

You are not alone wondering that.

I guess "when its done". So far there is no apparent activity on dev.wine-staging.com from slackner, but hopefully he/the team/whatever is working very very hard at getting staging to work with wine-3.0. Sebastian Lackner requested a VM update 19/1-18, and well.. not really sure what that means other than hopefully testing is on the way. There are quite a lot of changes with 3.0 vs. 2.x so its absolutely not as simple as "fixing a few patches". I (as a total n00b and non-programmer) were able to update staging to patch wine-2.22, but have no chance with the 3.0 source. Not that it automatically means its "so very hard", but it would be nice that it works aswell :P

So.. couple of more weeks would probably not seem improbable.

Meanwhile - wine-staging-2.19/2.18 works fine with World of Warcraft 7.3.5 (performs better than 2.20/2.21/2.22).

C
steveebey73742
Level 2
Level 2

Post by steveebey73742 »

@cybermax, I agree, 2.18 seems best on my fedora 27. I used the cflags you have in the readme, and compiled to my amd architecture, with bdver2. I get 30-40 fps in most areas on argus, and I use a symlinked copy of my windows installation, so I do not have to maintain two separate addon folders and character folders. Since twitch is the only way to update addons, I will boot to windows, do the updates. In windows, with the exact same ingame settings, I get 80-90 fps around argus. I am hoping with 3.0 staging is released, to see similar fps in Linux.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

To get most "bang for the buck" when it comes to wine, i really think one need to make a totally custom version for each game.. But thats not gonna happen :)

WoW w/OpenGL - USED to be the fastest. OpenGL support is gone from the game, and will not be "fixed".
WoW w/DX9 - Is still the fastest if used with patched wine-staging-2.0.x (There is a "overwatch" patched wine-staging-2.0.2 around). Sadly there are currently ground-texture bugs in WoW that will NOT be fixed, as blizzard is phasing away from DX9.
WoW w/DX11 - Works with wine-staging-2.18 up to wine-staging-2.21, but it seems as there are slightly worse performance introduced with 2.20. 2.18/2.19 is more or less identical i guess.

I have done quite a bit of extensive experimentation with different compilers and CFLAGS to see if anything is to be gained, but well.. kinda hard to tell in a game like wow, cos it all depends on what happens on the server.. So by running benchies in Unigine-Heaven and Unigine-Valley i have tested a bit. Sadly inconclusive :(

Trying with -fLTO now, just to see if things happen, but wine-staging does not seem to compile (for me and Ubuntu 14.04) on anything newer than gcc-4.8.5. gcc-5/6/7 all fails if any LTO flags are given, and cant compile. Gonna test a Ubuntu 17.10 VM box to see if it works there, and in that case its a "you-have-too-old-distro" problem for me :)

I have tried to bench with wine-3.0, but to even have a point, i need to patch the vsync patch from staging, else it caps at 60fps. And without other patches, performance is quite a bit lower for Unigine-Heaven, and Unigine-Valley wont even run more than as a slideshow :)
steveebey73742
Level 2
Level 2

Post by steveebey73742 »

Hoping that staging comes soon, been using git to keep up with 3.0. Superposition will run sometimes, with 3.0 but the digits on the calculator, in the first frames of the bench, are not readable. In windows the same bench looks perfect. 3.0 is still a work in progress as far as dx11 is concerned. dx9 is no longer supported by blizzard, so raids and other areas are not drawing properly if you use dx9. You end up standing in bad stuff, and being the newb in the raid when what you can not see kills you.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

The problem i have with Superposition is that the menus and everything is rather unusable unless you disable GLSL and force GLMaxVersion=20001 or some unusable stuff. Then it will display properly and run OpenGL bench. DX bench is still somewhat of a slideshow tho, but improving im sure :)

Cant really say that LTO optimization is any good.. perhaps since i have to use gcc-4.8.5? And that is why its rather.. uhm.. bad? Seemingly high fps at times, but getting weird stutters that i tend not to get if i compile with just -O2 -march=native (or even skip march=native).
steveebey73742
Level 2
Level 2

Post by steveebey73742 »

Give me the cflags you use, I will compile with gcc 7.2.1 which is what i run on Fedora. I can let you know if the changes make a difference.