Sharing Virtual C: drive across linux distrobutions

Questions about Wine on Linux
jjquin

Sharing Virtual C: drive across linux distrobutions

Post by jjquin »

Pretty sure the answer to this is No, but I couldn't find it in the forums or online so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I'm setting up a system with Linux Mint 18.3 and Manjaro KDE 17.1.1 on the same system (Dual-Boot) What I wanted to know is if I installed the same version of Wine in each distro could I setup the "virtual C: drive" on a separate partition and share it between the distros? It's an SSD drive and my games take about 65GB all together in Windows. I wanted to completely test both distros but I didn't want to waste the space by installing the games twice.

Thanks
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Sharing Virtual C: drive across linux distrobutions

Post by Bob Wya »

@jjquin

The answer is actually yes!

I've got a multi-Gb shared partition on my laptop with a directory full of separate WINEPREFIX's.
This partition is shared between multiple Linux distributions (installed in a multi-boot setup) and Wine versions.
It's a setup that I find useful for testing, etc.

Bob
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You should be able to do that. I have three versions of openSUSE on my system, and a separate /wine partition with all my wineprefixes that all three can access. The wineprefixes show the updating dialog if I switch openSUSE versions, even if the Wine version is the same, but it hasn't affected anything. Make sure that your user is the owner of the wineprefix in each distro and that all of Wine's dependencies are installed in both.
jjquin

Post by jjquin »

Thanks for the quick response. Great I can make a shared subvolume on my Btrfs partition for my Wine prefix's and for my VB images. (Of course I'll set the VB images as no cow!). Installing the new 500GB SSD drive right now to for Linux!

Again thanks!