Battle.net App: Unexpected Error (Ubuntu)

Questions about Wine on Linux
faber

Battle.net App: Unexpected Error (Ubuntu)

Post by faber »

When I try to open the battle.net launcher app it gives me an error box with the message "The application encountered an unexpected error" and asks me to fill out a blizzard report form, I found a guide on how to fix this online at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=215203 but it didn't work and does the same thing no matter how many times I re-install battle.net and restart my computer, I've also installed all DXD3 dll's and visual studio / vcrun dlls and programs, and all fonts via winetricks GUI

I've dedicated the past 3 full days to trying to solve this problem and after a total of 36 hours of browsing I couldn't find a fix. What can I do to provide more information to help you guys better understand what's going on so I can fix this?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Battle.net App: Unexpected Error (Ubuntu)

Post by Bob Wya »

@faber

The Battle.net app will only currently run / install with Wine Staging.

See: WineHQ AppDB: Blizzard Battle.net App.
Multiple bugs linked to this application are marked as STAGED.

Bob
faber

Re: Battle.net App: Unexpected Error (Ubuntu)

Post by faber »

Bob Wya wrote:@faber

The Battle.net app will only currently run / install with Wine Staging.

See: WineHQ AppDB: Blizzard Battle.net App.
Multiple bugs linked to this application are marked as STAGED.

Bob
At the time of this thread post as well as currently I had / have staging

the way I fixed this was to uninstall the battle.net launcher, go to the battle.net download page and download and install the hearthstone game installer, after logging in with my battle.net account it seemed to have installed a version of the battle.net launcher which works and from there I could start downloading hearthstone, I encountered many errors during the download process but just keep hitting enter on the boxes and it'll stop, if your hearthstone blackscreens when you try to play go to launcher > settings > game settings check the box and input the command -force-d3d9 and hit done, the only issues with the launcher and game is that the slideshow / game news text doesn't display properly when the window is minimized and when you quit hearthstone wine will give you an error message telling you the program encountered a serious error and needs to close, but just keep the launcher maximized and ignore the error message after quitting the game by hitting enter and it'll be fine

oh and if your internet connection disconnects while you have the launcher open wine will also give you an error saying that the program encountered a serious error and needs to close so just make sure your Internet connection doesn't disconnect and you'll avoid that : ^)