Questions about Wine on Linux
o1bigtenor
Level 2
Level 2

Am I sol for running this program

Post by o1bigtenor »

Greetings

Running on virtualbox vm setup as debian stretch (9) using wine-1.8.7

Trying to install a program called PicoProg_v2_Driver_Installer_Stand-Alone.
Its operating software for a sensor board.
Using wine setup.exe I get this:

err:winediag:SQLDrivers No ODBC drivers could be found. Check the settings for your libodbc provider.
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
err:winediag:SQLDrivers No ODBC drivers could be found. Check the settings for your libodbc provider.
Can't recognise 'C:\windows\system32\find.exe /I "07/15/2013,2.2.0.0" C:\windows\inf\picoprog_v2_win7_8.inf' as an internal or external command, or batch script.
Can't recognise 'C:\windows\system32\find.exe /I "07/15/2013,2.2.0.0" C:\windows\inf\picoprog_v2_xp.inf' as an internal or external command, or batch script.
C:\windows\system32\drivers\NiViUsbK.sys: File Not Found
C:\windows\system32\drivers\unipro*: File Not Found
C:\windows\inf\unipro*.inf: File Not Found
Can't recognise 'C:\windows\system32\find.exe /C "4.00.950" ' as an internal or external command, or batch script.
Can't recognise 'C:\windows\system32\find.exe /C "4.00.111" ' as an internal or external command, or batch script.
Can't recognise 'C:\windows\system32\find.exe /C "4.03.1212" ' as an internal or external command, or batch script.
Can't recognise 'C:\windows\system32\find.exe /C "4.03.1213" ' as an internal or external command, or batch script.
Can't recognise 'C:\windows\system32\find.exe /C "4.03.1214" ' as an internal or external command, or batch script.
Can't recognise 'C:\windows\system32\find.exe /C "4.10.1998" ' as an internal or external command, or batch script.
Can't recognise 'C:\windows\system32\find.exe /C "4.10.2222" ' as an internal or external command, or batch script.
Can't recognise 'C:\windows\system32\find.exe /C "4.90.3000" ' as an internal or external command, or batch script.
Can't recognise 'C:\windows\system32\find.exe /C "5.0" ' as an internal or external command, or batch script.
Can't recognise 'C:\windows\system32\find.exe /C "5.1." ' as an internal or external command, or batch script.
Can't recognise 'C:\windows\system32\find.exe /C "5.2." ' as an internal or external command, or batch script.
Can't recognise 'C:\windows\system32\find.exe /C "6.0." ' as an internal or external command, or batch script.
Can't recognise 'C:\windows\system32\find.exe /C "6.1." ' as an internal or external command, or batch script.
Can't recognise 'C:\windows\system32\find.exe /C "6.2." ' as an internal or external command, or batch script.
Can't recognise 'C:\windows\system32\find.exe /C "6.3." ' as an internal or external command, or batch script.
Can't recognise 'C:\windows\system32\find.exe /C "10.0." ' as an internal or external command, or batch script.
unknown Operating System

So - - - - am I sol or is there some way to tame the beast?

TIA
dimesio

Re: Am I sol for running this program

Post by dimesio »

Windows hardware drivers don't work in Wine.
o1bigtenor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by o1bigtenor »

Thanks for the response (I had hoped that the answer would be otherwise!).
Its for an eval board - - - what's the chances of them having a linux equivalent?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

o1bigtenor wrote:Thanks for the response (I had hoped that the answer would be otherwise!).
Its for an eval board - - - what's the chances of them having a linux equivalent?
For hardware like this - it's a very good idea to be very vocal with the manufacturer.
Plenty of external sensor boards have Linux drivers these days.

FYI Should you need to run anything else with Wine - your Debian package version (1.8.7) is years out of date and unsupported... :roll:

Bob
o1bigtenor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by o1bigtenor »

Thanks for the tip - - - that was my next step!

Re: wine 1.8.7 was released February 28, 2017 according to the 'news' section on the website.
As I am running it in a Debian stable vm that's as up to date as I can get for now.
I don't think that 11 months from release should be 1. unsupported or 2. considered out of date.

This particular method of installation was chosen because the previous time I tried to install wine directly on my system it took me over 2 weeks to repair the fluster cluck that was created when I was trying to install from source (can't remember what particular version that was - - - sorry!). As I didn't and don't have time to do that again I chose a very safe installation method. Sorry if I'm supposed to live on the edge - - - but it just ain't going to happen.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

o1bigtenor wrote: Re: wine 1.8.7 was released February 28, 2017 according to the 'news' section on the website.
As I am running it in a Debian stable vm that's as up to date as I can get for now.
WineHQ has newer packages. The current stable release is 2.0.4 and 3.0 is expected to be released this week, so yes, 1.8.7 is outdated and unsupported. https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

o1bigtenor wrote:Thanks for the tip - - - that was my next step!

Re: wine 1.8.7 was released February 28, 2017 according to the 'news' section on the website.
I don't think that 11 months from release should be 1. unsupported or 2. considered out of date.
Oops... Sorry Debian / Ubuntu seem to alternate between very outdated Wine versions (1.6.2) and just outdated versions (1.8.7). 8)
Yes... Wine 1.8.7 was tagged on Wed Feb 15 23:02:45 2017.

I would however beg to disagree...
A (nearly) 1 year old package version - can make a big difference for many FOSS projects.
E.g. Plasma 5 was transformed from being a train-wreck to very useable over the course of 1 year (2016/2017).
Would you want to be stuck on the older broken packages for longer? :cry:
Debian Stable - has it's place - which is basically on a headless Server box.

Bob
o1bigtenor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by o1bigtenor »

dimesio wrote:
o1bigtenor wrote: Re: wine 1.8.7 was released February 28, 2017 according to the 'news' section on the website.
WineHQ has newer packages. The current stable release is 2.0.4 and 3.0 is expected to be released this week, so yes, 1.8.7 is outdated and unsupported. https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian
Ok - - - good news that wine3.0 is out next week. That means that - - - - hopefully it hits experimental shortly thereafter. Its going to then take a bit until it filters to testing and until 3.0 hits stable - - - likely be a while.

Given the pain the last time I tried to install wine directly on my m/c - - - sorry I just don't have time for that amount of drama again.

Right now the major need for using wine seems to be working and this new idea - - - well it sounds like my program wouldn't work under wine3.0 anyway so I'll wait for a bit before upgrading.
o1bigtenor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by o1bigtenor »

Bob Wya wrote:
o1bigtenor wrote:Thanks for the tip - - - that was my next step!

Oops... Sorry Debian / Ubuntu seem to alternate between very outdated Wine versions (1.6.2) and just outdated versions (1.8.7). 8)
Yes... Wine 1.8.7 was tagged on Wed Feb 15 23:02:45 2017.

I would however beg to disagree...
A (nearly) 1 year old package version - can make a big difference for many FOSS projects.
E.g. Plasma 5 was transformed from being a train-wreck to very useable over the course of 1 year (2016/2017).
Would you want to be stuck on the older broken packages for longer? :cry:
Debian Stable - has it's place - which is basically on a headless Server box.

Bob
OK - - - I get it - - - you like to work with more cutting edge stuff - - - great (maybe you could consult for the banks and get them to drop there win xp pro (what - - - 15 years old maybe) that is still their platform of choice)!

I had tried to install wine once before and the amount of grief and stress before I got my system back to what I wanted - - - sorry - - - I've got joy enough trying to get linux to like using multiple gpus and more than 2 monitors that's enough joy for me.

For a while I was trying to stay up to date with Mozilla's Firefox and the issues just never seemed to go away. Now I'm running the extended service release and life is better even though I think FF is a turkey (I can't find a browser that lets me work the way my brains finds comfortable!). I use Debian testing for my main working box but for most other things stable is the choice!