Need help with playing in-game videos

Questions about Wine on Linux
asporiri
Level 1
Level 1

Need help with playing in-game videos

Post by asporiri »

Hey there!

I'm pretty new to meddling with wine and getting non-native games work under Linux and on my very first attempt I have run into a problem. I cant get videos play properly. There are some *.mpg files which contain scenes that should be played during the game, but when it tries to it crashes. I cant seem to get past this.

Here some logs from the terminal : https://pastebin.com/0FXR0Lu9

Distro is ubuntu 16.04 with 4.4.0-104-generic kernel, 64 bit.

The only clue I have is what it says in the log: am I missing 32 bit gstreamer libraries? However, there seems to be other problems occuring earlier that this. I'm not sure if I can get 32 bit gstreamer working

Any thought, help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
dimesio

Re: Need help with playing in-game videos

Post by dimesio »

Yes, the missing 32 bit gstreamer libraries are the problem, and I don't know if it's possible to install them in Ubuntu 16.04. Ask on the Ubuntu forum about that. If they can't be installed, the workaround is to disable winegstreamer. Depending on what you are trying to run, you may also need to install a Windows codec pack and possibly native quartz and devenum.

I also noticed this:

Code: Select all

0009:err:winediag:MIDIMAP_drvOpen No software synthesizer midi port found, Midi sound output probably won't work.
To get MIDI sound working, follow the instructions on https://wiki.winehq.org/MIDI.
asporiri
Level 1
Level 1

Post by asporiri »

After looking up results on gstreamer 32bit issue on ubuntu, it doesn't seem to be possible to have the 32bit libraries installed alongside the 64bit version yet. If I disable gstreamer in winecfg I wont have any video playback, right? So, I either cant have videos or cant play at all (since it crashes upon trying to play the first video). Isn't there anything that could be done? The wine version I'm using is wine-3.0-rc4. Would I have more options if I tried compiling from source?

Regarding midi sound, I haven't noticed anything strange happening as of yet, so hopefully it isnt really a problem.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

asporiri wrote:If I disable gstreamer in winecfg I wont have any video playback, right? So, I either cant have videos or cant play at all (since it crashes upon trying to play the first video).
That depends entirely on what game(s) you're trying to run. For Oblivion, for example, simply disabling winegstreamer is enough to avoid a crash and all the videos play just fine. That's why I said you may have to install a Windows codec pack and possibly even native quartz and devenum. It's something you will have to experiment with, and different games may need different workarounds.
asporiri
Level 1
Level 1

Post by asporiri »

okay, I have disabled gstreamer, and it doesnt crash. However, I'd really like to get videos working, so I'm off to some more testing.

Here's the terminal stdout/stderr with winegstreamer disabled https://pastebin.com/yiW8PDiA

From this it seems like it's still trying to use gstreamer :

0009:err:ole:COMPOBJ_DllList_Add couldn't load in-process dll L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winegstreamer.dll"
asporiri
Level 1
Level 1

Post by asporiri »

okay, I think I made some progress.

Installed a 32bit wineprefix, didn't use any overrides (eg I left winegstreamer alone, didnt disable it), installed a LAV codec pack from here https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases. So its an absolutely clean wineprefix with LAV installed.

And now I can play in-game videos (at least the very first one. I'd need to progress further in the game to be able to confirm whether it works for every videos)

I'm very happy about this, but still I'm somewhat not satisfied with the image quality in the videotjag. The characters appearing have jaged edges, looks like as if some anti-aliasing was missing... when I choose to play the videos separately (mplayer for example) it looks fine. The video is a simple MPEG-1, is there a codec you could recommend that also works fine in wine?

Another question regards this message:

0009:fixme:thread:SetThreadIdealProcessor (0x90): stub
and it literally floods my terminal. Is this about CPU affinity used by the program? How could I fix it?
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

asporiri wrote:Another question regards this message:

and it literally floods my terminal. Is this about CPU affinity used by the program? How could I fix it?
Just ignore it, most likely completely harmless.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

asporiri wrote:Another question regards this message:

Or run:

export WINEDEBUG=fixme-thread
Before you test your game (in the same terminal session)!
:lol:

Bob
asporiri
Level 1
Level 1

Post by asporiri »

Sorry for resurrecting this topic, hoped I wouldn't have a problem again with videos after finally managing to play them (mostly) correctly. But now after playing a cinematic it just crashes complaining about X

X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  1 (X_CreateWindow)
  Serial number of failed request:  351
  Current serial number in output stream:  371
Thought it had something to do with changing to i3wm but this turned out to be false.

Here's more complete log https://pastebin.com/jPQHV07h

Any idea what might cause this? It has worked okay with wine3.0-rc6, but that was quite some time ago. I'm not sure if upgrading to wine3.2 or some other upgraded packages cause this.

Thanks in advance again(hope it's okay that I didn't open another topic about this)