Questions about Wine on Linux
ockac23
Level 1
Level 1

Uninstall a 64 bit windows application

Post by ockac23 »

Hi folks,

I have wine 2.0.3. on my Ubuntu 14.04 , 64 bit system,
Recently I have installed a 64 bit windows application (Everything), which does not work well and I want to uninstall it.
I started wine uninstaller but the application "Everything" does not appear there.
How can I uninstall it?

Thanks a lot!
dimesio

Re: Uninstall a 64 bit windows application

Post by dimesio »

You need to run

Code: Select all

wine64 uninstaller
ockac23
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ockac23 »

Thank you much.
That's it!
wildtux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wildtux »

btw, it is always better to use independent wine bottle to install an app because when you 're stuck, you just have to remove the bottle :)
ockac23
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ockac23 »

How to use a independent wine bottle, what do you mean?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

ockac23 wrote:How to use a independent wine bottle, what do you mean?
@ockac23,

Wine Bottles is a common alternative name for a WINEPREFIX for 3rd party wrappers and ports like CodeWeavers Crossover , etc...

See: WineHQ FAQ: 6.5 Wineprefixes ...

Bob
ockac23
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ockac23 »

Thank you for this information.
Does it mean, that it would be a good idea to change to a new wineprefix every time, when I install another windows application on wine?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

ockac23 wrote:Thank you for this information.
Does it mean, that it would be a good idea to change to a new wineprefix every time, when I install another windows application on wine?
@ockac23,

It is generally recommended to follow this approach. I personally have a drive with a directory full of separate WINEPREFIX's.

Then if a WINEPREFIX is damaged - for whatever reason - you only have to reinstall one application.

RE Meta Applications - like the Valve Steam Client... You might want to store all your Steam games under one WINEPREFIX.
This can cause issues - as individual games may need very different overrides.
Personally I start with a completely independent Steam library directory - that isn't directly within any of my Steam Client WINEPREFIX's.
Then I have 2 main Steam WINEPREFIX's - 32-bit and 64-bit.
I use a lot of per-application overrides for my games library. See WineHQ Wiki : Useful Registry Keys / AppDefaults.
For games with special requirements i have them in separate WINEPREFIX's - with their own Steam Client installation.
These can still refer to a single common Steam Client library directory.
Then I can use more extensive overrides for games - e.g. for d3d10 / d3d11 libraries, etc.

At the end of the day - it's whatever works for you!
But if something stops working the most important rule is to re-test the application in a clean (i.e. newly created) WINEPREFIX.

Bob
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Bob Wya -Thank you for that information! I never thought of something getting messed up and only having that one thing needing to be deleted instead of everything at once. I'm going to implement that myself this weekend.

Thanks!
wildtux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wildtux »

for steam, you can also link steamapps dir to one other stored in your default user directory. This way, it's easy to manage a steam 64 prefix and steam 32 prefix.

That's what I do, knowing that I have also steam linux version to manage, I just put steamapps directory in ~./STEAMApps/linux and STEAMApps/wine and link them to appropriate steam os version, that prevent data corruption and permit easy backup.
ockac23
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ockac23 »

I received this error message today after wine upgrade.. screenshot attached.
I clicked "cancel" , wine apps are running without issues, but anyway it is a strange message.
Attachments
error.png
error.png (19.13 KiB) Viewed 3725 times
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

ockac23 wrote:I received this error message today after wine upgrade.. screenshot attached.
I clicked "cancel" , wine apps are running without issues, but anyway it is a strange message.
Not really relates to the thread anymore, but that warning is telling you that it can't find wine-mono, which is needed for .NET applications. Why is that strange?
As long as you use native .NET or run only native applications, you can ignore that warning.