Watchtower Library not Updating - age? permissions?

Questions about Wine on Linux
business_kid
Level 2
Level 2

Watchtower Library not Updating - age? permissions?

Post by business_kid »

I have the Watchtower Library 2016. Unlike previous versions, this one auto-updates, so there will be no future releases to deal with. However, the thing won't update in wine-2.13 on Slackware-14.2. The sequence is:
1. It downloads a .upgradepkg update (I can invoke 'Help/Check for updates')
2. It verifies this update.
3. It should install the update, but fails on a permissions thing

I can manually invoke 'Help/Apply the Update Manually' but that gives me a dialogue looking for a .upgradepkg file, and there isn't one. I checked with linux find while it was downloading in .wine. I also tried wine-1.9.23 and got the same error

I have a few windows VMs here. Windows 10 was upgraded; Vista hadn't the Library installed. So I installed it and the installation upgrade worked. So I bit the bullet, uninstalled wine, zapped the ~/.wine dir, and reinstalled in linux and the installation upgrade worked.

In so doing, I've thrown out a lot of software I am not able to reinstall. Wine is actually faster than the VMs, and integrates with linux much better. Is anyone else having update problems, or am I on my own here?
dimesio

Re: Watchtower Library not Updating - age? permissions?

Post by dimesio »

Just guessing, but based on the Wine versions you mentioned and the fact that a clean wineprefix fixed it in 2.x, I think you ran into https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=41269. That was fixed some time ago (though the reporter only confirmed it recently), but the fix would not have worked for wineprefixes created prior to the fix (see comments 42 and 43 in that bug), and the solution to that is to reinstall to a clean wineprefix.

FYI, you did not have to delete the old wineprefix; you could have simply created a separate one for Watchtower Library. Most experienced users create separate wineprefixes for each app to avoid just that problem. https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Can_I_store ... 2F.wine.3F

Also, 2.13 is old; the current version is 2.22.
business_kid
Level 2
Level 2

Post by business_kid »

Yes, I believe I did run into bug https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=41269

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading. I will update to 2.22. As for the ~/.wine dir, I have a backup I can restore, but after reading that bug through, I'll let it go. The things I've lost are China Scribe (shareware) and some Electronic/cad stuff from my university days. I'm disabled now, so I'm retired, and I think the guy who gave me China Scribe lost the use of his reason, and last heard was studying to become a Hindu Priest :-o.

If you want a further test of the patches, the backup .wine dir has an older Watchtower Library installed. I can try uninstalling that, and installing the current one if that helps ther development effort.

wine-2.13 was a Slackware package which is why I have it, but I did LFS and I can (and have) compiled wine before for various bugs. Wine-2.22 has all patches applied, I take it?
business_kid
Level 2
Level 2

Post by business_kid »

I installed my backup ~/.wine dir, downgraded to wine-1.9.23(Slackware package) but it ended in tears for the lack of a reliable earlier watchtower library to install.

Upgrading to wine-2.22 and going away. I can't confirm that the bug is sorted, but I presume that no news is good news. Thanks for taking the trouble, & goodbye.