Wine cannot recognise free space of C:

Questions about Wine on Linux
Tritalas

Wine cannot recognise free space of C:

Post by Tritalas »

I am attempting to install World of Warcraft using Wine but the application won't allow me to install the game because it incorrectly assumes that I do not have enough free space in disk (requires 40GB, I have 83GB free space). I suppose this might be a problem due to having Linux installed on another partition, but I do not know what exactly to do.
My distro is Mint 18.2
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wine cannot recognise free space of C:

Post by Bob Wya »

Tritalas wrote:I am attempting to install World of Warcraft using Wine but the application won't allow me to install the game because it incorrectly assumes that I do not have enough free space in disk (requires 40GB, I have 83GB free space). I suppose this might be a problem due to having Linux installed on another partition, but I do not know what exactly to do.
My distro is Mint 18.2
Make sure you are running an up-to-date version of Wine...
See: WineHQ Download: Ubuntu ...

Create your WOW WINEPREFIX on the larger drive... See: WineHQ FAQ: 6.5.2 Can I store the virtual Windows installation somewhere other than ~/.wine?
Wine passes the (Linux) drive space of the mount-point your WINEPREFIX is created on, as your C:\ drive available storage to Windows applications run under Wine...

Bob
Tritalas

Post by Tritalas »

Thank you. It worked but only by specifying the WINEPREFIX for the application through the terminal. All seemed fine through the installation but when I launched the game some colours were wrong and more importantly the fonts were black instead of the default colours. I provide pictures in case you know how to fix this. Otherwise, if it is considered off-topic, please let me know in order to open a new thread for this problem.
https://imgur.com/a/gg0B4
https://imgur.com/a/XfBZJ
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Tritalas wrote:Thank you. It worked but only by specifying the WINEPREFIX for the application through the terminal. ...
It's definitely best to setup a Linux .desktop short for any Wine applications you install... If the application works OK! 8)
E.g.:

Code: Select all

~/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs/Battle.Net/Battle.Net.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Battle.net
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="???" /usr/bin/wine C:\\\\windows\\\\command\\\\start.exe C\\:\\\\Program\\ Files\\\\Battle.net\\\\Battle.net\\ Launcher.exe
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Path=???/drive_c/Program Files/Battle.net
Icon=65EF_Battle.net Launcher.0
Categories=X-Wine;Network;FileTransfer;Game;
where ??? is replaced with the absolute path for Battle.net WINEPREFIX.
Your local Battle.net icon name can be found with:

find ~/.local/share/icons/ -iname "*Battle.net Launcher*"
which should be automatically extracted by the Wine builtin program: winemenubuilder.
Tritalas wrote:... All seemed fine through the installation but when I launched the game some colours were wrong and more importantly the fonts were black instead of the default colours. I provide pictures in case you know how to fix this. Otherwise, if it is considered off-topic, please let me know in order to open a new thread for this problem.
Is that a Wine upgrade issue then? Or was it just a pre-existing issue?

To diagnose what's going wrong perhaps you could run WOW with a graphics debugging channel enabled.

export WINEPREFIX=???
export WINEDEBUG=+wgl
wine 'C:\Program Files\Battle.net\Battle.net Launcher.exe' &>~/wine_battlenet_terminal_log.txt
Which would create a debug log in your Linux user's ${HOME} ~ directory.
See: WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)?

Please remember to use the WineHQ Forum Code:

I am Code
tags if you are posting terminal commands or logs inline here (Code button above the full forum reply edit box.)

Ta
Bob
Tritalas

Post by Tritalas »

Thanks for the helpful information. I found out that the problem was DirectX 11. I changed the configuration of the game to run with DirectX 9 and the problem was solved. I am now considering implementing Gallium Nine to increase performance because the FPS is very low.