FFXIV very low fps

Questions about Wine on Linux
Hussar

FFXIV very low fps

Post by Hussar »

I've recently built a new computer with a gtx 1060 and Ryzen 1200, and decided to switch entirely to Kubuntu 16.04. I'm very new to linux and still just learning the basics.
I've installed Wine stagging and the latest version of Lutris (because I've noticed that using whatever install script is on lutris.net usually ends in a lot less stress than setting up wineprefixes which I still don't understand), to run the game. For some reason I'm getting only 35 fps on the lowestest graphic settings and 25 on the highest with a gtx 1060. I see other linux benchmarks of people with equivalent GPUs getting twice or three times my fps with wine (for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSqeLqTRq1g) and I'm wondering what settings I might have wrongly set up to cause this. I had a similar problem with even games that run natively on linux where I was getting unplayable frames until I realized that the 'NVIDIA X Server Settings' application has a slider for adjusting OpenGL Image setting from 'low' to 'high performance.' Maybe there are setting I am missing that are causing my GPU to under perform? This, combine with the fact that I see very low GPU temperature and fan RPM on the nvidia panel makes me believe that the GPU is barely even being used. What can I do?

The temperatures I'm getting are 50 degrees at maximum and usually the GPU fan isn't even spinning. The installer I used: https://lutris.net/games/final-fantasy- ... lm-reborn/

Hopefully this isn't being posted in the wrong place.
wildtux
Level 3
Level 3

Re: FFXIV very low fps

Post by wildtux »

I've barely the same hardware as you have (except Ryzen is 1600).
Fps is a very up down issue in FF, i've discover that hdd and RAM are very sensitive too.
You can try this for nvidia option to get better performances:
export __GL_OpenGLImageSettings=3 ; 'ff_cmd_line'

I just tested the wine windowed mode, it look like get a bit more fps.

Actually, I have 154 at launcher config window and max 54 in game with wine 3.0.rc1.
Hussar

Post by Hussar »

wildtux wrote:I've barely the same hardware as you have (except Ryzen is 1600).
Fps is a very up down issue in FF, i've discover that hdd and RAM are very sensitive too.
You can try this for nvidia option to get better performances:
export __GL_OpenGLImageSettings=3 ; 'ff_cmd_line'

I just tested the wine windowed mode, it look like get a bit more fps.

Actually, I have 154 at launcher config window and max 54 in game with wine 3.0.rc1.
That's still very poor performance. Not sure what that line you gave me is for. I've began to notice this under performance issue with all my wine games. I see 44 fps (which is unacceptably low considering the age, popularity, and low system requirements of the game) while in combat in League of Legends but I see forum posts of users from 3 years ago saying they were able to get 100+ fps on LoL with Wine. Maybe I need to upgrade to 16GB RAM from 8GB or swtich to an SSD? If you're using a 1600, I guess CPU is not a big factor. Is that 54 fps on the lowest settings?
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

Not sure how relevant, but may i suspect that LoL is running dx9?

I see you mention ppl were able to get 100+ fps 3 years ago in LoL, and that was before Wine had any working DX11 support.

Lets assume we are talking dx9 then.
Wine 2.1+ have reworked CSMT, so DX9 performance vs. 2.0 or older is sometimes half or less. In other words: If you play a DX9 game with wine-staging<=2.0, you will get a LOT more fps. If you play a DX9 game with wine-staging>=2.1, you will get a lot less fps. If you play in DX11, the numbers are even less.

I have no clue of FFXIV if that is a DX11 or DX9 game, or even works with <2.0 wine, but from initial testing wine-dev is not a "performance" machine when it comes to gaming.. so far :) staging adds loads of tweaks and quite a few performance patches, but is yet 3.0 ready.

C
wildtux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wildtux »

Sorry to be so late.

@Cybermax: Yes, FFXIV work with wine version <2.0. FF is mainly develop on DX9, DX11 is an enhancement.
I will try with 1.9.21 and see, but I didn't remind it gave me really more FPS.

@Hussar: Actually, wine 3.0rcX is globally enhancing performance. Remind that many things give more performance. RAM, HDD, GC, CPU and also display kind. DVI and HDMI is stuck at 60flip/s, it's a hardware issue. Display-port give more, that why you can find feedback with more 100FPS (frame/s).
I thing I'm limited to max 60flip/s because i'm in HDMI/DVI, that why I get 160 at start config time and 60 in game (sometimes 70/80), but screen with Dispaly-port are expensive. :shock:

Command line I gave you is to set nvidia-settings to performance mode.

You can try my script if you like (https://github.com/wildtruc/winestart), there still some issues with it, but can help you to test many wine version and options.
Wine is not perfect, but it does the best it can.

You can try too pci-pass-through with a Qemu VM, but this, is really expensive!
wildtux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wildtux »

Forgot to tell: 54fps is basically to high performance at 1920x1080, except for a few options (a very few).
wildtux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wildtux »

Hi there. Sorry to be so late to answer.
I did test FF with wine 1.9.21-23 and effectively fps go up to 80+ (some tiem 100) fps in game and when you go to ffxivlauncher configuration tool, it show some time 200 (usually 185+).

It's also a good thing to launch the game in winecfg windowed mode set to the actual screen resolution, It offer better display.

Wine 3.0rcX give also better performance but not so high as 1.9.xx.

my2cents
Atomfist

Post by Atomfist »

Hello I am running into some crazy low FPS (Desktop High at 9fps) I am running an i7-3930k and a GTX980 and I installed the game standalone with Wine.

On Maximum in Windows I was getting (70-90FPS) and on lowest settings in Wine I cannot even get to 30FPS.

I am running Wine 5.0 Stable. I am running NVIDIA drivers 418.74.

Does anyone know of any configuration settings that could help make the game run better in Wine.

Thank you.