Having issues with running Warcraft 3: err:ole:CoCreateInst

Questions about Wine on Linux
Basinator
Level 3
Level 3

Having issues with running Warcraft 3: err:ole:CoCreateInst

Post by Basinator »

Hiho!

I am using Ubuntu 14.04 (rarely used Laptop here) and the latest wine stable 2.0.3 after having the same problem with 1.6.something.

When I start war3.exe the console tells me the following:
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7bd01c20 "loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 001b, blocked by 0022, retrying (60 sec)
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7bd01c20 "loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 001a, blocked by 0022, retrying (60 sec)
err:ole:CoCreateInstanceEx apartment not initialised
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f308,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f6e8,0x00000000), stub!

(I think the timed out stuff isn't always there)

In case it might be relevant, this Laptop had 2 GB RAM recently, but only has 1 GB atm as I tried to get another machine running with the removed RAM and forgot to put it back in there (and I can't do atm).

Warcraft 3 then crashes with a fatal error:
https://abload.de/img/screenshot-27.11.2017gqoq5.png

The app is considered as gold and I can tell from my past experience it runs well with wine after some configuration:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=3126

Winecfg overrides (war3.exe, FrozenThrone, Warcraft3):
dbghelp native, builtin
msvcp100 native, builtin
winegstreamer disabled
Basinator
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Having issues with running Warcraft 3: err:ole:CoCreate

Post by Basinator »

Running

WINEDEBUG=fixme-all WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-wc3 wine "Frozen Throne.exe" -window -opengl

helped, but I am not sure why.
Running it with "wine Frozen Throne.exe" now also works. No clue what I actually did to make this happen.

But I am stuck @ patching from 1.28.5; after patching I am told there is no CD in the drive, the bnet launcher opens and asks me to install Warcraft 3. When clicking repeat on the CD dialogue, WC3 starts again, but isnt patched.

I also need to know how to add the "-opengl" argument to WC3 executables.

€: I also want to use my desktop resolution 1280 x 1024 but isnt offered ingame. Can prob do this manually via regedit though.
Basinator
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Having issues with running Warcraft 3: err:ole:CoCreate

Post by Basinator »

Upgraded RAM top 3 gigs again.

Now I am experiencing a weirdo issue here, I can connect to battle.net (meaning it doesn't find a new update) right after patching, but after re-opening it wants to update again.