World of Warcraft 7.3.2 freezes randomly

Questions about Wine on Linux
cpl_clegg

World of Warcraft 7.3.2 freezes randomly

Post by cpl_clegg »

While playing World of Warcraft (version 7.3.2.25497), my entire computer will freeze. When this happens my computer is completely unresponsive to any and all input, including the reset and power buttons (I have to hard reboot by holding down the power button). This seems to happen randomly (some times right away, some times after an hour or so of playing). It does not seem to coincide with any events in-game (running htop and watch -d sensors, my computer does not seem to be in any distress while playing).

From what I understand wine should not be capable of causing such a catastrophic event, and it may be my graphics driver, but I do not know what to do or how to begin searching for the cause.

Useful information:

wine --version
wine-2.20 (Staging)

cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu 17.10 \n \l

I am using the Ubuntu X11 desktop (Wayland was causing issues with the camera).

lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti XT [Radeon HD7970/8970 OEM / R9 280X]

Actual Graphics card is a Radeon HD 7970. I am using the radeon driver.

lscpu | grep 'Model name'
Model name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz

I have tried turning off 'Enable_CSMT for better graphic performance' in winecfg->Staging.
I have tried running the 32-bit version of the client.
I have tried reducing the graphics intensity.

I have uploaded the logs for wine Wow-64.exe &> log.txt 2>&1

Any help or advice appreciated.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: World of Warcraft 7.3.2 freezes randomly

Post by jkfloris »

Is it possible to ssh into your system when the system seems to freeze?
Or maybe the journal can give you more information.

Code: Select all

journalctl -b-1
pga256
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pga256 »

This sounds like a hardware fault rather than a wine problem. Have you tried using a different version of wine to see if the problem persists? e.g. wine-staging 2.19 or 2.21.
I had a similar problem with WoW freezing in a similar fashion about a year ago. After much head scratching and frustration, I realised that my PC power supply was failing. After installing a different PSU, no more freezes.
Other possibilities are faulty RAM or maybe the CPU is overclocked a little too high.
cpl_clegg

Post by cpl_clegg »

jkfloris wrote:Is it possible to ssh into your system when the system seems to freeze?
Or maybe the journal can give you more information.

journalctl -b-1
Thanks for the suggestions. I am not able to SSH in. The computer will not even respond to power or reset (I have to press and hold power).

The journal contents don't show much, just some 'fixme' messages that wine outputs the entire time the game is running:

Nov 24 15:29:01 - wine-Programs-Battle.net-Battle.net.desktop[631]: fixme:ntdll:NtQueryDirectoryObject multiple entries not implemented
Nov 24 15:29:01 - wine-Programs-Battle.net-Battle.net.desktop[631]: fixme:d3d11:d3d11_immediate_context_Map Ignoring map_flags 0x100000.
Nov 24 15:29:01 - wine-Programs-Battle.net-Battle.net.desktop[631]: fixme:d3d11:d3d11_immediate_context_Map Ignoring map_flags 0x100000.
pga256 wrote:This sounds like a hardware fault rather than a wine problem. Have you tried using a different version of wine to see if the problem persists? e.g. wine-staging 2.19 or 2.21.
I had a similar problem with WoW freezing in a similar fashion about a year ago. After much head scratching and frustration, I realised that my PC power supply was failing. After installing a different PSU, no more freezes.
Other possibilities are faulty RAM or maybe the CPU is overclocked a little too high.
I recently updated wine to 2.21 and it still has the issue. I have not tried 2.19.

I agree that it looks like a hardware issue. CPU is not overclocked, and it isn't even breaking a sweat while the game is running.

I'll try running memtest to see if anything comes up.

The PSU might be a little underpowered (Corsair HX 850W), so I can try a going in for a 1kW+ supply to see if that resolves it.
swedave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by swedave »

Change to this . Look at the picture . Now i havent that issue . btw im using wine-gaming-nine from AUR .
Attachments
test
test
cpl_clegg

Post by cpl_clegg »

swedave wrote:Change to this . Look at the picture . Now i havent that issue . btw im using wine-gaming-nine from AUR .
Disabling GLSL prevented the game from starting. It gave an error about being unable to start 3D graphics.

I replaced my power supply with a 1kW model and the problem still persists.
swedave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by swedave »

Try Mesa-git
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

cpl_clegg wrote: Disabling GLSL prevented the game from starting. It gave an error about being unable to start 3D graphics.

I replaced my power supply with a 1kW model and the problem still persists.
From what i read, AMD cards work best with wine-staging-nine and the mesa drivers (not binary blob). However, WoW has issues with DX9 and ground effects several places in 7.3.2, so if you raid and dont wanna be caught as a dumbass standing in flames.. DX11 is the only option atm.

This means most likely that you have to enable GLSL, as i think this enables the shaders that are newer than SM3 (and afaik DX11 need SM5).

Not too good news for you as a AMD user im afraid :(

I dont have a AMD card, so what i wrote might be old news, and the drivers work pristine in wine-2.x... But chances that your hardlocking has to do with something related to this is high.. Although missing ground textures vs. crashing.. Well, id choose the first and go for wine-staging-nine :) (And have near native windows performance with dx9)
swedave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by swedave »

Thats true . I looked like an asshole in a boss fight ;(