Questions about Wine on Linux
Przemas
Level 2
Level 2

MoI3D

Post by Przemas »

I'm trying to run MoI3D thorugh WINE:

http://moi3d.com

Most of the things seem to work just fine. But there's one usability showstopper - in short display state of the objects in the viewport is not on par with the actual state. So for example when I hover over an object with a mouse cursor it should highlight - but it does not. It "catches up" the highlight when I move mouse again (but often it one more time a step behind - as I moved the cursor the object shouldn't get a highlight anymore). It makes basic operations like selecting almost impossible. Tried that on couple workstations, different distros, different WINE versions. No luck :( .
https://drive.google.com/a/maxmini.eu/f ... p=drivesdk

When I've asked MoI dev he gave me this reply:
Unfortunately I don't really know what I could do to solve that, it looks like WINE is not flushing the current rendered back buffer to the screen until the next redraw. That kind of latency can go unnoticed for games since they are rendering in a continuous loop to make an animated appearance but MoI only redraws the screen when there is some change. You might look for any setting in Wine like "swap after render" or "flip after render".
Is there a setting in WINE or workaround that would allow to fix this problem? This seems the only issue affecting this app.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: MoI3D

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Hello there,

does the problem also occur with the "Alternative trial version" from http://moi3d.com/download.htm ? Because I'm not able to reproduce the issue on my system with that program.
Przemas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Przemas »

THank you for trying this one @DarkShadow44.
Yup, I got identical results with nosave version - and as mentioned on a couple of workstations. No matter the distro, tried multiple wine versions as well. Basically there are 2 things shared between the PCs I've tried - all have locales set to pl_PL and I think all had Nvidia cards with proprietary drivers. As I'm not WINE expert by any means (quite the contrary) I don't know whether it may matter.

How did you set up your install (dummy guideline would be awesome :D )? I'll try to recreate that and will see how it goes.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

I have wine-2.21, deleted my .wine folder and installed the program. The program started itself, I switched to the "Draw solid" tab, drew a sphere. Then I move the mouse, over it and back, and it works fine.
Przemas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Przemas »

@DarkShadow44: following your reply I did some testing and I narrowed it a tad. I've run it on a laptop with only intel built-in card and it worked as it should.
But on 3 workstations with Nvidia card I get this redraw/refresh problem.

So it seems related to wine AND nvidia. Any ideas what can I try to workaround this problem? A possible fix?
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Do you know how to use apitrace? You can use that to capture the OpenGL output of the program, useful to diagnose a driver issue.
You could capture that on the machine where the error occurs, and then upload it so I can test if it behaves the same on my machine, or you just test it on your intel-only machine.
Przemas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Przemas »

I'd love to get back to this - last time "life happened" and couldn't dig into this.

So yeah, the issue is still there - everything seems like one frame / state behind. And it is not only happening in MoI. I've tried an app for the 3d printer I have in the workshop and I've noticed similar problems with some of the objects there (it's less painful there though).
https://vimeo.com/296282117
Tried different WINE versions (staging, non staging) - no difference.
Just to add (hopefully) one more clue to the mix - I've tried running it under WINE with Xephyr using Lutris. With Xephyr the issue is gone, but the performance is so bad the app is unusable.

As written in original post my suspicion is that it only happens on Nvidia cards. I've been able to get it running on a friends laptop with Intel card.
Sadly all 4 of the PCs in my workshop are equipped with Nvidia GPUs so my options to further test it are limited. Will try to get a hold of some cheap laptop / radeon card to see if that's really the case.
I was able to confirm it is not PC or distro specific though - it happens on the mentioned PCs, and I've tried OpenSUSE (my current daily OS), Fedora, CentOS, Solus.

I'm willing to investigate it to the extents of my abilities - it seems I'm close to switching to Linux on all of my machines. Recently I've managed to get Zbrush running so it seems some of the last roadblocks are going down (note - I think in Zbrush there's a similar problem to the one described, but it is only noticeable when displaying mesh wires and it is barely noticable, not an issue at all).
Przemas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Przemas »

oh, and just in case it matters here are my workstation specs:
Kernel: 4.12.14-lp150.12.22-default x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Gnome 3.26.2 Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.0
Machine: Device: desktop Mobo: ASRock model: EP2C602 serial: N/A
UEFI: American Megatrends v: P1.80 date: 12/09/2013
CPU(s): 2 Octa core Intel Xeon E5-2670 0s (-HT-MCP-SMP-)
speed/max: 2600/3300 MHz
Graphics: Card-1: NVIDIA GM204 [GeForce GTX 980]
Card-2: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 3GB]
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) driver: nvidia
Resolution: [email protected], [email protected]
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 980/PCIe/SSE2
version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 390.87
Przemas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Przemas »

So far the test I've did seem to indicate it only with proprietary Nvidia driver. The only other common ground between 2 workstation I've tested is that both are dual Xeon.
Any ideas what else should I test /try ?