Windows Account

Questions about Wine on Linux
GeminiHawk

Windows Account

Post by GeminiHawk »

I am using Wine on Linux Mint 18.2

I am trying to completely replace my Windows work computer with Linux. The problem I run into is one program I use is designed only for Windows. I attempted to use Wine but as I guess I can't get past the installation that requires me to provide a windows account with admin privileges.

What the program needs to do is sign into a local admin acct in order to run updates to it's self. Is there a way to get past this with Wine, or am I out of luck and the only option is virtual machine?

Yes I did search and read the FAQ before asking this. I did not find anything that came close to answering my question.
dimesio

Re: Windows Account

Post by dimesio »

Wine runs everything with Windows admin privileges, and has not implemented UAC. Try the current release of wine-staging; according to https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40613#c9 they have experimental patches implementing UAC.
GeminiHawk

Post by GeminiHawk »

dimesio wrote:Wine runs everything with Windows admin privileges, and has not implemented UAC. Try the current release of wine-staging; according to https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40613#c9 they have experimental patches implementing UAC.
I don't think I was very clear in my description. The program I am trying to run opens a dialogue box for me to specify a windows user & password for a windows account with admin privileges so it can run it's update process.

Therefore I need to emulate a windows account. Wine emulated a windows session with admin privileges but if i understand correctly there is never a user specified or defined.

If there is a user specified and its name is USER or ADMIN or something, I think I could use it, but I don't see anywhere that is the case or am I misunderstanding?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

What you are talking about is UAC, which is not implemented in the development or stable branches. Staging apparently has some experimental UAC patches that may or may not provide what your app needs, but is at least worth trying.