Newbie help: how am I meant to use wine?

Questions about Wine on Linux
faiuwle
Level 1
Level 1

Newbie help: how am I meant to use wine?

Post by faiuwle »

Trying out wine for the first time. I downloaded a .msi for a free program and let wine open it, it apparently installed it with no trouble. This created an application with the wine icon that I can see when I search in the Ubuntu search bar, and similarly a desktop icon, but when I click them, nothing happens. Trying to execute the desktop icon in the terminal doesn't help, it seems to be in a format that's not recognized at all. However, the desktop file has a path to the actual exe, so I run "wine #####.exe" in the terminal and it says "err:process:start_process L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\My Family Tree\\MyFamilyTree.exe" doesn't have an entry point, it cannot be executed". I tried reinstalling the .msi and it offered a "repair" option so I selected that, but nothing seems to have changed.

So how am I supposed to use wine to run windows programs?
dimesio

Re: Newbie help: how am I meant to use wine?

Post by dimesio »

According to https://chronoplexsoftware.com/myfamily ... /index.php, the app requires "the latest version of the Microsoft® .NET Framework available for your operating system." Native .NET only works in 32 bit wineprefixes and needs to be installed with winetricks. So start by creating a 32 bit wineprefix and installing .NET to it, then install the app to that wineprefix. https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Can_I_store ... 2F.wine.3F
faiuwle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by faiuwle »

Thanks. Does .NET or wine need to be 32 bit? My Ubuntu is 64 bit.
faiuwle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by faiuwle »

Actually, nevermind, I see the section on getting a 32 bit wineprefix.
faiuwle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by faiuwle »

Ok, I created a 32-bit wineprefix and set it to use Windows 7 and installed .NET. I specified the wineprefix when installing from the .msi. But when I installed it, and now when I try to run it, I get a popup that says "The program mscorsvw.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine. You may want to check the Application Database for tips about running this application." If I click on details it says "Unhandled exception: unimplemented function mscoree.dll.CorIsLatestSvc called in 32-bit code (0x7b83935c)."
faiuwle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by faiuwle »

Wait, I'm sorry, I forgot there was a special command for .msis. I installed again, it seemed to work, but running it produces

System.BadImageFormatException: Bad method token 0x5269cf61 on image C:\Program Files\My Family Tree\MyFamilyTree.exe.
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.BadImageFormatException: Bad method token 0x5269cf61 on image C:\Program Files\My Family Tree\MyFamilyTree.exe.

EDIT: And now it's back to the other error message.
faiuwle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by faiuwle »

Hello?
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

Just out of curiosity I just tried it, on a 32bit linux, so everything was 32bit anyway. I installed .NET 4.6 with winetricks. When trying to run MyFamilyTree I won't get your error message, but a popup that I'd require the "latest version of the Microsoft® .NET Framework available for your operating system", so no dice. I'm unable to install .NET 4.62 with winetricks atm, but it probably wouldn't be recent enough anyway, I assume that MyFamilyTree wants 4.71, which I don't even have on my Windows Boxes. Afaik winetricks doesn't support anything more recent than .NET 4.62, so doesn't look good atm.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Err no...

It requires .Net Framework 4.0...

If you remove Wine Mono and run the myfamilytree7.4.5.0.msi install - it states this.

Code: Select all

grep '.NETFramework' MyFamilyTree.exe.config

<supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0,Profile=Client"/>
The application still fails hard when run...

Bob