https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44034
Thanks for your patience! :wink:
Bob Wya wrote:np 8)
I've had this bug for 2 years, It's relevant to:
intel integrated graphics
Nvidia Nouveau driver
Nvidia proprietary driver
AMD drivers 2017 and earlier

Distro does not matter, I have tested openSUSE, Kubuntu, Arch, Gentoo, Linux Mint, Fedora
Version of wine does not matter, from stock to staging the same errors are caused.

Not sure what the cause is but I can tell you it's the same arcade games in SC2 that cause it. The regular game (which is probably what you tested in your previous post) is not relevant to this bug at all. I have a list of arcade games that I don't bother playing because they'll crash.
(Also I know this is an old thread, no I'm not sorry for bumping it)
Have a good day.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Starcraft II errors out while loading a map

Post by Bob Wya »

GRATS wrote:...

Not sure what the cause is but I can tell you it's the same arcade games in SC2 that cause it. The regular game (which is probably what you tested in your previous post) is not relevant to this bug at all. I have a list of arcade games that I don't bother playing because they'll crash.
Have a good day.
The only issue I have with necro-bumping threads - is if there is no connection between the new post and the old ones... :roll:

Rather sitting on your problems for months, it's best just to ask for help or search the WineHQ Bugzilla! :lol:

See first: Bug 44920 - Starcraft II Arcade Crash during load.
If that doesn't solve the issue - then you might want to add some log files to that bug (since it's still open).

Bob
GRATS

Post by GRATS »

Bob Wya wrote:
GRATS wrote:...

Have a good day.
The only issue I have with necro-bumping threads - is if there is no connection between the new post and the old ones... :roll:

Rather sitting on your problems for months, it's best just to ask for help or search the WineHQ Bugzilla! :lol:

See first: Bug 44920 - Starcraft II Arcade Crash during load.
If that doesn't solve the issue - then you might want to add some log files to that bug (since it's still open).

Bob
Nothing there has ever worked for me unfortunately, I've kept up with my issues and done tests, I've used Linux for 14 years so I was hardly "sitting on my problems" since no forums seemed to have a solution hahaha. I actually got it working 30 minutes ago flawlessly on 3 different systems with different hardware using Lutris which I never heard of before a (sad to say it) linus tech tips video, maybe the first good video that's been released.
https://youtu.be/SsgI1mkx6iw
https://lutris.net/games/starcraft-ii/
Now I run 3.13 staging myself, but they auto downloaded and made a new environment of a 3.11 staging for my install.. but it's working flawlessly, I'm trying to get it to crash and haven't been able to yet. Even trying to bog down the game to a crawl where it just errors out from too many units.. doesn't crash.

Version of Nvidia driver and kernel truly seem to be irrelevant in whether it works as well. They just seem to work. Now for DXVK I need bleeding edge for the most part. Going to buy an AMD GPU so I can start doing that since it's in the kernel and nvidia proprietary drivers are just a headache. Hopefully this will solve other peoples issues as well. Lutris seems to be working great for many things.

(For what it's worth, D3 runs great too, which it only ran at 1FPS without DXVK)
https://lutris.net/games/diablo-iii/
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@GRATS

Lutris is a great tool. I'm surprised that more Linux user's haven't heard of it... 8)
Depends whether you hang out too much on Reddit, watch Linux Game Cast, etc. I guess...
Mathieu Comandon (Lutris project founder) used to co-host that (LGC) podcast.

Sadly that Linux Tech Tips video was awful as a "Linux Gaming" discussion.
Since the video essentially went straight to "non-Linux Gaming"...
Instead discussion revolved around running Windows games on Linux (using Wine) and running Windows games in a Windows VM (using VFIO / Looking Glass).

What's neat about Lutris is that the install scripts are easily available online and receive regular updates (unlike Play On Linux).
E.g. the Lutris YMAL install script for Starcraft II.
I'm not into using Lutris myself - but I do often "borrow" the scripts to install games under Wine. 8)

Wrt to DXVK AMD will be a headache as you will often have to run Git / SVN Master (Mesa, LLVM).
Nvidia, of course you have to install the beta Vulkan drivers from time to time, but this is pretty easy on most Linux distributions.
AMD do have some obvious advantages now with their big Open Source push...
E.g. AMD's Vulkan support goes back more generations of AMD cards (with Radv - essentially part of the Mesa project) than Nvidia's proprietary Vulkan suppport does. Plus generally small / random end-user bugs are more likely to get fixed with this development model.

Bob
GRATS

Post by GRATS »

Bob Wya wrote:@GRATS

Lutris is a great tool. I'm surprised that more Linux user's haven't heard of it... 8)
Depends whether you hang out too much on Reddit, watch Linux Game Cast, etc. I guess...
Mathieu Comandon (Lutris project founder) used to co-host that (LGC) podcast.

Sadly that Linux Tech Tips video was awful as a "Linux Gaming" discussion.
Since the video essentially went straight to "non-Linux Gaming"...
Instead discussion revolved around running Windows games on Linux (using Wine) and running Windows games in a Windows VM (using VFIO / Looking Glass).

What's neat about Lutris is that the install scripts are easily available online and receive regular updates (unlike Play On Linux).
E.g. the Lutris YMAL install script for Starcraft II.
I'm not into using Lutris myself - but I do often "borrow" the scripts to install games under Wine. 8)

Wrt to DXVK AMD will be a headache as you will often have to run Git / SVN Master (Mesa, LLVM).
Nvidia, of course you have to install the beta Vulkan drivers from time to time, but this is pretty easy on most Linux distributions.
AMD do have some obvious advantages now with their big Open Source push...
E.g. AMD's Vulkan support goes back more generations of AMD cards (with Radv - essentially part of the Mesa project) than Nvidia's proprietary Vulkan suppport does. Plus generally small / random end-user bugs are more likely to get fixed with this development model.

Bob
Yea I tried playonlinux once in it's prime maybe 2 years ago and it was a nightmare, easier to just do it myself. I forgot what it was doing but it broke my wine install, Ironically I just tried it for kicks and I get a python error on Kubuntu hahahaa if it doesn't work on Ubuntu based what does it work on?
I've not been able to reproduce lutris's results even copying the config and implementing it myself. It's some sort of black magic I guess, but it works. I haven't ever came into such weird errors as this SC2 where 20% of games don't work, so copying the lutris config for them just seems to produce the same working results I have for other games.. not sure
I didn't like that video, nor any video of his (not that I've seen more than 5 of them). But that one at least taught me something, ironically where I saw it posted everyone was just laughing at him being dumbfounded by what the other guy was doing. I thought it was pretty hilarious at the end they run windows in kvm and windows version of steam. I wish there was a way to tell the devs "Hey I'm on linux but I have to VM to run your terrible game since you can't take a day in your export a linux version from unity" unfortunately they just think +1 for windows 0 for linux. Obviously if the devs made their own engine it's understandable, but that's nearly unheard of now except for blizzard. With vulkan existing there's no excuse.
I think looking glass is cool but useless? I'm sorry to say it, but to maximize a screen is a simple hotkey, I set mine to alt F9, it'll maximize any window of any program to take the full screen. What does looking glass copying the memory of my VM's screen do that I can't do with the VM? I can minimize the VM, and maximize the VM. I can do the same with looking glass, using the same hotkey.. since it doesn't even support full screen. Very confusing why it needs to exist, or maybe people don't know how to minimize their VM? I have no clue.. I just.. click minimize.. A lot of work for something that could go toward DXVK which is useful. (no offense to the authors, just teach people how to minimize programs instead?)

I think Nvidia is more difficult than AMD for most users, installing and updating a few things, vs installing and updating and booting to a black screen with nvidia. :P

As far as this bug goes, and non dedicated graphics. I can get sc2 working with no crashes on a 3570K system with lutris, With no crashes. So not sure if that can be posted on the bug report for others who come into contact with the issue, but I went ahead and tested 15 biggest (active) arcade games that had issues before, and they don't now. The only "more popular" ones being the new desert strike and the new 2018 mineralZ.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

GRATS wrote: I've not been able to reproduce lutris's results even copying the config and implementing it myself. It's some sort of black magic I guess, but it works. I haven't ever came into such weird errors as this SC2 where 20% of games don't work, so copying the lutris config for them just seems to produce the same working results I have for other games..
Yeah, but really it's not black magic. Are you building and using a custom version of Wine?

Code: Select all

wine:
  version: pba-firerat-3.11-x86_64
E.g that's employing some hefty custom patchsets on top of vanilla Wine Staging. The Lutris script won't work without this.
GRATS wrote: I think looking glass is cool but useless? I'm sorry to say it, but to maximize a screen is a simple hotkey, I set mine to alt F9, it'll maximize any window of any program to take the full screen. What does looking glass copying the memory of my VM's screen do that I can't do with the VM? I can minimize the VM, and maximize the VM. I can do the same with looking glass, using the same hotkey.. since it doesn't even support full screen. Very confusing why it needs to exist, or maybe people don't know how to minimize their VM? I have no clue.. I just.. click minimize.. A lot of work for something that could go toward DXVK which is useful. (no offense to the authors, just teach people how to minimize programs instead?)
You're missing the point. Looking Glass is only for the specific use case of GPU hardware pass-through virtualisation. One GPU in the system is dedicated to Windows.
The Linux host would not normally be able to access that directly and since one of the monitors is hooked up to the secondary Windows-only GPU...
GRATS wrote: I think Nvidia is more difficult than AMD for most users, installing and updating a few things, vs installing and updating and booting to a black screen with nvidia. :P
I've never had my Nvidia GPU lockup or crash my system whilst playing games via DXVK. This is reported to happen with the AMD Mesa drivers on the DXVK Issue tracker (hard system locks - that you can't even RESUB from).
Just to re-emphasis that neither driver is perfect.

Bob
Dox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dox »

(Note: I'm the author of that SCII script)

Just for the record, the SCII bugs have already been reported. The workarounds I posted in the bug reports, are what I use in the Lutris script for SCII. It basically consists of copying .dll files from the Support64 folder to system32. (one manually, 1 I can install with Winetricks)

Performance increase comes from PBA patchset. Which is the only thing that is on top of normal Wine Staging. It works around a performance bottleneck in regular wine / wine-staging.

Now, I don't play SCII myself anymore, but I try to keep all Blizzard Games working with installers from Lutris. Like Bob says, you can do the steps yourself, but you still need that wine build with pba.

Dox
GRATS

Post by GRATS »

Bob Wya wrote:
GRATS wrote: I've not been able to reproduce lutris's results even copying the config and implementing it myself. It's some sort of black magic I guess, but it works. I haven't ever came into such weird errors as this SC2 where 20% of games don't work, so copying the lutris config for them just seems to produce the same working results I have for other games..
Yeah, but really it's not black magic. Are you building and using a custom version of Wine?

Code: Select all

wine:
  version: pba-firerat-3.11-x86_64
E.g that's employing some hefty custom patchsets on top of vanilla Wine Staging. The Lutris script won't work without this.
GRATS wrote: I think looking glass is cool but useless? I'm sorry to say it, but to maximize a screen is a simple hotkey, I set mine to alt F9, it'll maximize any window of any program to take the full screen. What does looking glass copying the memory of my VM's screen do that I can't do with the VM? I can minimize the VM, and maximize the VM. I can do the same with looking glass, using the same hotkey.. since it doesn't even support full screen. Very confusing why it needs to exist, or maybe people don't know how to minimize their VM? I have no clue.. I just.. click minimize.. A lot of work for something that could go toward DXVK which is useful. (no offense to the authors, just teach people how to minimize programs instead?)
You're missing the point. Looking Glass is only for the specific use case of GPU hardware pass-through virtualisation. One GPU in the system is dedicated to Windows.
The Linux host would not normally be able to access that directly and since one of the monitors is hooked up to the secondary Windows-only GPU...
GRATS wrote: I think Nvidia is more difficult than AMD for most users, installing and updating a few things, vs installing and updating and booting to a black screen with nvidia. :P
I've never had my Nvidia GPU lockup or crash my system whilst playing games via DXVK. This is reported to happen with the AMD Mesa drivers on the DXVK Issue tracker (hard system locks - that you can't even RESUB from).
Just to re-emphasis that neither driver is perfect.

Bob
Yea as I said it uses a different wine than the 3.13 staging that I use.
Also I can view dedicated GPU VMs just fine through my Linux, I thought KVM + qemu was the standard? Looking glass wasn't very different latency wise for me but I guess it's a cool project.
I have nvidia locks and random reboots on 3 systems unless I run older drivers tbh, so I guess it won't be different. I'm aware they aren't perfect. Even on windows they have hundreds of issues. The April update broke tens of thousands of computers & graphic drivers.
| NVIDIA-SMI 390.48 Driver Version: 390.48 |
Dox wrote:(Note: I'm the author of that SCII script)

Just for the record, the SCII bugs have already been reported.
Yea this thread is years old :) Your script doesn't crash at all fyi