Icewind Dale 2 GOG - No Sound

Questions about Wine on Linux
rebootnet

Icewind Dale 2 GOG - No Sound

Post by rebootnet »

Good day,

I followed this guide using PlayOnLinux to install Icewind Dale 2 on Mint Linux 18.3. http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/thre ... guide.891/

The game runs fine, there is just no audio. The guide there doesn't mention anything regarding audio. Does anyone know how I could get the audio to work with this game?
dimesio

Re: Icewind Dale 2 GOG - No Sound

Post by dimesio »

PoL is not supported here, and if you're using 1.6.2 as specified in the guide you linked to then you are using a Wine version that is over three years old and no longer supported, and you need to upgrade.

The AppDB does have an old test report for that game that mentions needing to change a setting in winecfg to get sound to work. https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... ngId=84466
rebootnet

Re: Icewind Dale 2 GOG - No Sound

Post by rebootnet »

Thank you for the response.

When I launch the game through PlayOnLinux there is no sound.

When I launch straight from terminal with wine iwd.exe there is sound after I installed some i386 library. There is sound in winecfg when I run the sound test but not through the PlayOnLinux wine cfg and both are the same version. I have tried various versions.

I also managed to get the game to run in widescreen mode, but now I can't get past the Palisde battle. After the second goblin "boss" Ghortag or something other comes along the third guy just never appears. There are no further goblins to kill and the game NPCs keep telling me I shouldn't talk but fight.

I specifically installed this game on Mint (which is running off a USB) because it absolutely refused to run on Windows 7 Pro (probably because of all sorts of other things I have on it work-related) and was excited I got it to work perfectly except for this "bug" now.

Do you think if I save my saved game and try using a different version of wine and load the game from there I could get past this point?