Runtime error 8005: port already open

Questions about Wine on Linux
tmwine

Runtime error 8005: port already open

Post by tmwine »

Hello.
I have a windows program that I've been running on Debian Stretch, wine 1.8.2, with virtually no problems. It's a program to display the output of a digital multimeter.

The same program will not run on the same Debian version, but different computer (motherboard/processor), and neither wine 1.8.2 offered with Stretch or the latest stable from winehq, v2.0.2. Actually, it does run, but won't connect via the usb serial to a linked com: port and gives the error below when attempting to make the com: port connection. This setup done exactly like the other computer.

The error: "Runtime Error 8005: port already open"

All searches point to a windows error but I though I would check here before uninstalling all of it. I find nothing in the forums here that refer to any type of problem like this and after checking for missing files and some other stuff I'm at a loss for where to go next to troubleshoot.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
tjm
dimesio

Re: Runtime error 8005: port already open

Post by dimesio »

Have you tried using a different com port?
tmwine

Post by tmwine »

dimesio wrote:Have you tried using a different com port?
Tried that. I'm using a USB serial adapter that works on other systems. Even loaded up the usb ports to force different device names and added the corresponding com ports to the wine devices folder with the correct links. Maybe I'm overlooking something. There's no actual serial ports on the motherboard but I guess I can add one in a slot for troubleshooting.
tmwine

Post by tmwine »

OK, I hate it when this happens, but my app is working now without the 'runtime error 8005:port already open' problem, but I don't know any more than I did before. Something got installed that eliminated the problem and the only thing it could be was the windows version of Acrobat 8 that I tried to install. I can live with the working program but I really do like to know why so I can duplicate it later. By the way, Acrobat won't run. But for now, if anyone wants to run the windows version of Mastech ms8218.exe DMM viewer in Wine then windows acrobat 8 might need to be a prereq even if that doesn't run.

tjm