MS .NET Framework problem

Questions about Wine on Linux
Kronstadt1921

MS .NET Framework problem

Post by Kronstadt1921 »

I am a Linux novice using Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya. I want to install and run Garmin Express <https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/express>.

Following the directions at <https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu> I was able to successfully install WineHQ 2.0.2 to my 'home' folder. However, it doesn't show up in the Applications list. How do I fix that?

More importantly, when I right-click on GarminExpress.exe, choose "Run with", and choose "Wine" the installer starts to run but stops and displays the message: "Microsoft .NET Framework required for Garmin Express setup". I then click on the "Accept and Install" and then nothing happens.

I've tried downloading and running the .NET Framework 4.6.1 .exe file in /home/michelle/.wine/drive_c/windows but it makes no difference. The Garmin Express still hangs on the .NET Framework message and stops when I try to install it.

I previously tried to use a Linux Mint Wine package but that didn't work either.
dimesio

Re: MS .NET Framework problem

Post by dimesio »

Kronstadt1921 wrote: Following the directions at <https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu> I was able to successfully install WineHQ 2.0.2 to my 'home' folder. However, it doesn't show up in the Applications list. How do I fix that?
Reread that wiki page, specifically the items under "If you have previously used the distro packages, you will notice some differences in the WineHQ ones."

FYI, you should also upgrade Wine to the latest development or staging release.
I've tried downloading and running the .NET Framework 4.6.1 .exe file in /home/michelle/.wine/drive_c/windows but it makes no difference. The Garmin Express still hangs on the .NET Framework message and stops when I try to install it.
Always use winetricks to install native .NET, as it works around known bugs. Delete the wineprefix you messed up and start over with a clean one. Use winetricks to install dotnet46 first, then try installing Garmin.
Kronstadt1921

Post by Kronstadt1921 »

Thanks dimesio for your response. I will give your advice a try.

Would you please explain why I "should also upgrade Wine to the latest development or staging release"?

You wrote, "Delete the wineprefix you messed up and start over with a clean one." Do you mean the ".wine" in the file path? If so, I don't believe I chose that, it was created automatically. What should the wineprefix be?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Kronstadt1921 wrote: Would you please explain why I "should also upgrade Wine to the latest development or staging release"?
The stable branch is a nine months old version with a handful of bugfixes that are considered safe (won't cause regressions). It may have problems that have already been fixed in the development and staging branches, but for which the fixes won't be backported until the next major release (3.0).
You wrote, "Delete the wineprefix you messed up and start over with a clean one." Do you mean the ".wine" in the file path? If so, I don't believe I chose that, it was created automatically. What should the wineprefix be?
I mean the wineprefix you installed to, which would be .wine unless you specified a different one. Yes, delete that. For more info on wineprefixes: https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Can_I_store ... 2F.wine.3F.
Kronstadt1921

Post by Kronstadt1921 »

It wasn't easy, quick, or clean but I installed winehq-staging (2.21.0~xenial), winetricks 20171222-next, and wine-mono0.0.8 (0.0.8-0ubuntu1). Though Wine doesn't seem to recognize that wine-mono is installed.

I used Winetricks to install .NET Framework 4.5. But I get a "serious error" when I try to install GarminExpress.exe using the Wine Windows Program Loader though nothing shows up in the debugger window.

When I reinstalled Wine it installed to home/michelle/.wine/ -- the default again. Why is this is a problem and what is the solution? I know I can change the WINEPREFIX but I don't know why or what I should change it to. The FAQs isn't very informative on this.

I also think that part of the problem may be that I have a 64-bit machine. I see from the FAQs page that I can create a 32-bit WINEPREFIX but it doesn't make sense to me to do this until I'm clear on where the main WINEPREFIX should go.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

Kronstadt1921 wrote:When I reinstalled Wine it installed to home/michelle/.wine/ -- the default again. Why is this is a problem and what is the solution? I know I can change the WINEPREFIX but I don't know why or what I should change it to. The FAQs isn't very informative on this.

I also think that part of the problem may be that I have a 64-bit machine. I see from the FAQs page that I can create a 32-bit WINEPREFIX but it doesn't make sense to me to do this until I'm clear on where the main WINEPREFIX should go.
Well, although its "unsupported" and "frowned upon" by any of the "die-hard-linux-d00dez" in here with knowledge, try to install "PlayOnLinux" package for your distro. Or for that matter "Lutris" as some seem to prefer that.

What those packages are, is a GUI with easier to understand making of prefix'es and changing/installing wine versions + some already configured scripts to winetricks.

Wineprefix is a set of folders containing your installed windows/programs. You can have many of them, and often it is required to use different tweaks for each windows program you install, and thus putting them in their own "wineprefix". The default "wineprefix" folder is: /home/yourusername/.wine as you have found out. Doing a : rm -r .wine will "reset" (as in delete) the prefix. You can have a wineprefix anywhere your user has writeaccess to, so normally its somewhere in your $HOME folder.

If you do the following command:

Code: Select all

WINEPREFIX="/home/yourusername/Garmin" wine
A new "wineprefix" will be created in the Garmin folder under your user. Whenever you are to start something in THAT "wineprefix", you must put that WINEPREFIX=/home/yourusername/Garmin in front of the command.

Ofc as the paths to this gets longer and longer depending on where the file is installed (like if you would run it in windows) this gets more and more complicated. Hence ppl make scripts to run the different wine commands. (And is what i guess is preferred over PlayOnLinux or its like here on the forums)

Nothing is easy, and its a very steep learning curve in anything Linux, and out-of-the-box tools like wine is harder than that :)

PS. I have not gotten any reasonable version of .NET working when i have tried, so dont be fooled by the "Just install xxxx" comments from the pro guys here tho :)
PPS. Oh, and wine-staging is probably also deemed pretty unsupported.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Kronstadt1921 wrote:It wasn't easy, quick, or clean but I installed winehq-staging (2.21.0~xenial), winetricks 20171222-next, and wine-mono0.0.8 (0.0.8-0ubuntu1). Though Wine doesn't seem to recognize that wine-mono is installed.
That's because the version of wine-mono you installed is five years out of date. Current Wine requires wine-mono 4.7.1. If it wasn't installed, Wine should have offered to download it for you the first time you created a wineprefix.
Cybermax wrote:PPS. Oh, and wine-staging is probably also deemed pretty unsupported.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25307
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

dimesio wrote:
Cybermax wrote:PPS. Oh, and wine-staging is probably also deemed pretty unsupported.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25307
Well, seeing as wine-staging is pretty much dead and has been for a couple of months now AND it is of the previous version (Newest being 3.0)... Well... I would NOT get help asking questions about me having problems with 2.21 that easily without being told "Hey, download the latest release 3.0". :)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Cybermax wrote:...
Well, although its "unsupported" and "frowned upon" by any of the "die-hard-linux-d00dez" in here with knowledge, try to install "PlayOnLinux" package for your distro. Or for that matter "Lutris" as some seem to prefer that.
How can anyone support PlayOnLinux when the project is virtually dead - see Github: POL4?
Lutris is at least under a much greater level of development... See: Github: Lutris.

Bob
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

Bob Wya wrote:
Cybermax wrote:...
How can anyone support PlayOnLinux when the project is virtually dead - see Github: POL4?
Lutris is at least under a much greater level of development... See: Github: Lutris.

Bob
Thats why i also mentioned Lutris. :)

They are however working on POL-POM-5 https://github.com/PhoenicisOrg/POL-POM-5