How To Install To SD Card With WINE?

Questions about Wine on Linux
LordSelrahc

How To Install To SD Card With WINE?

Post by LordSelrahc »

I've been having issues installing the windows steam client to my SD Card. I tried installing it once, it "broke" my sd card. I've been making minor tweaks since then, seeing if any of that would have worked. No luck. Is there anything that I'm doing wrong? I'm beginning to think that's what it is (It's obviously what it is). I've never had a problem with anything not using installers, so there's something with me and the installers not getting along. Any help would be appreciated.
dimesio

Re: How To Install To SD Card With WINE?

Post by dimesio »

We can't tell what you might have done wrong unless we know exactly what you did, which you haven't told us. We need a step by step description and console output from running the Steam installer. https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_can_I_g ... tput.29.3F

What filesystem is your SD card formatted as? If it's not a native *nix filesystem, that could be the problem (esp. if it's NTFS).
SquareAperture
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SquareAperture »

Hi.

Dude being an SD card is totally irrelevant. A file system is a file system, linux is brilliant that way. Also, not for nothing, you're running a windows steam client, and I assume you've got gigs of installed games b/c you said in you other thread you had less than half a gig free and aborted a download... but as for the SD itself being the problem, linux doesn't work that way.

We need more info to help you; just basic stuff like fdisk -l and df -h when everything's mounted would be a good start. Is the SD card the root OS drive too, like with a Raspberry Pi or other SBC? Because it could simply be the /tmp hasn't the space... if you're installing a 100M app, you want at least 300M free, right? Maybe even more.

Also SDs are notoriously slow except for the newest stuff like UHD-II which requires an external USB reader, it's too new, and don't forget the limited write cycles. While you can optimize writes somewhat, your space can literally disappear before your eyes, as unwritable blocks are blocked from usage. (remember flash memory has to re-write a whole block to change one letter, that's how it's designed.) Are you sure you need it installed on an SD card?

Even if this is like a RPi and the OS needs to be on the flash, you can always hook up a USB HDD. Just saying, a linux system not optimized to exist on flash media makes a lot of writes and wears out media faster than say a camera. I would back it up frequently, especially since you already had one frustrating 'it's dead!' experiences lately.

At least modify your mount options so there's noatime, nodiratime, and relatime set for every filesystem mounted off that SD. That alone might make the card last an extra year.

Good luck!
LordSelrahc

Post by LordSelrahc »

I believe I fixed the problem! What I was doing was installing to the D: drive, which downloaded straight to the sd card without going through var/host/. When I did it today, I found that there was an E: drive available, so I decided to test it out. Sure enough, it worked. I believe there is some secret key involving the var/host/ file pathway, because if i try to download steam games on regular linux without the aforementioned file path, it doesn't let me. Thanks for the suggestions though! (To be honest I have no idea what most of what you were saying meant)