LTSpice intallation problem

Questions about Wine on Linux
gabridoppiozero
Level 1
Level 1

LTSpice intallation problem

Post by gabridoppiozero »

I recently installed Linux Mint 18.2 on my "new" computer. The first program that I wanted to install was LTSpice but I needed Wine too.
So I tried to download it from the packet manager, but it got me the version 1.6.2 (I believe, but I'm not sure)
I was disappointed so I uninstalled everything and added to the repositories winehq in order to get the latest version.
And so I installed wine 2.0.2

Then I downloaded from Linear Technology's website both LTSpiceIV and LTSpiceXVII (because on my other machine I had problem with saving files using XVII)
I tried first to install LTSpiceIV and I got the following error:

Trouble writing: C:\Program Files (x86)\LTC\LTSpiceIV\examples\jigs\1709.asc
C:\Program Files (x86)\LTC\LTSpiceIV\examples\jigs\1709.asc: data error

So I tried to install LTSpiceXVII and I got this instead:

Trouble writing: C:\Program Files\LTC\LTSpiceXVII\LTspiceHelp.chm
C:\Program Files\LTC\LTSpiceXVII\LTspiceHelp.chm: data error

Can anyone help please?
gabridoppiozero
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LTSpice intallation problem

I solved my problem.. cheating a bit :wink:
I just copied from my other computer the folder LTC from Program Files (x86) to this computer's folder Program Files (x86).
So I didn't have to install the program because I just copied it..

I'm still wondering, however, what the problem was... because, if I will have to install another program that runs with Wine, n the future, I might get another installation error
gabridoppiozero
Level 1
Level 1

I tried to copy the folder LTC (where LTSpice does all of its things) from my other computer to this one, making sure that it was correctly located in Program Files (x86) like in the donator computer.

The copy was successful and the program runs. But the only thing that I can do is opening existing schematics and simulating them.. I can create a new file but I can't place electronic components in it. I can't draw wires, add resistors, etc.. when I try to place a component there's a message that says that LTSpice must be closed because of a problem (without any specification) and that the error might be something related to Wine not working correctly.

Hope this can help identifying the problem
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The problem is that you didn't install the app properly in Wine. Copying from a Windows install may work for some simple apps, but it's not supported, as it won't work for apps that make registry entries and/or install files outside the program directory.

As for your problem installing, I can't reproduce it in the current development release (2.16). I downloaded LTSpiceXVII and installed it in a clean wineprefix without any problems. Try upgrading Wine.
gabridoppiozero
Level 1
Level 1

I updated wine to dev 2.16.
I had the exact same problems, with both LTSpice versions.

Also, I discovered that launching "winecfg" from the gnome-terminal makes my desktop manager cinnamon crash
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

gabridoppiozero wrote: Also, I discovered that launching "winecfg" from the gnome-terminal makes my desktop manager cinnamon crash
Wine shouldn't be able to crash your desktop. Something is wrong with the host system; ask for help on the Mint forum.
gabridoppiozero
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I'll do that.
But what about the installation?

On my other machine I have the exact same OS, with the same desktop, and the same version of Wine. And spice works just fine.