Nvidia drivers and blizzard app

Questions about Wine on Linux
rasperin

Nvidia drivers and blizzard app

Post by rasperin »

So today has been an interesting adventure, the short is it seems like nvidia drivers and the blizzard app are not playing along, on the part of networking. Not sure how this makes any sense given my limited insight into this, but I'll describe the problem and see if any of you have any ideas or if you want it just for a feather in your cap (don't get me wrong I'd love to resolve this, but still atleast getting the info into the wild should help someone).

HW Specs:
AMD 1950x Threadripper
nVidia GTX 1070
64GB ram
Samsung 960 m2 ssd
ASRock X399 motherboard

Software:
OS: Arch Linux 4.12.10-1-ARCH x86_64 (from antergos latest, please don't mind me I'm lazy and don't like messing with my own partitions)
Video: nVidia drivers 384.69-2
Desktop Environment: xfce4
Wine Version: wine-2.16
Additional libraries installed: winetricks, lib32-gnutls, and lib32-libldap, winetricks corefonts for wine
Dual boots with windows 10

Error when it hangs after installing nvidia libraries:

Code: Select all

ray@Archimedes Downloads]$ wine Hearthstone-Setup.exe 
fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:winhttp:get_system_proxy_autoconfig_url no support on this platform
fixme:winhttp:WinHttpDetectAutoProxyConfigUrl discovery via DHCP not supported
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option 77 STUB
fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_ConnectServer unsupported flags
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_SetBlanket 0x7dfb582c, 0x1250f8, 10, 0, (null), 3, 3, (nil), 0x00000000
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_Release 0x7dfb582c
fixme:wbemprox:enum_class_object_Next timeout not supported
<html><head><title>Object moved</title></head><body>
<h2>Object moved to <a href="http://www.blizzard.com/404">here</a>.</h2>
</body></html>
fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x33fda4 (nil)): stub
err:wininet:open_http_connection create_netconn failed: 12029
GIF89aÇ    ,D;fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option 77 STUB
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_SetBlanket 0x7d8ce82c, 0x12a0b8, 10, 0, (null), 3, 3, (nil), 0x00000000
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_Release 0x7d8ce82c
fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x1abe9a8 (nil)): stub
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  171
  Current serial number in output stream:  175
<html><head><title>Object moved</title></head><body>
<h2>Object moved to <a href="http://www.blizzard.com/404">here</a>.</h2>
</body></html>
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x74f894 "?" wait timed out in thread 0035, blocked by 003b, retrying (60 sec)
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_SetBlanket 0x7dfb582c, 0x1250f8, 10, 0, (null), 3, 3, (nil), 0x00000000
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_Release 0x7dfb582c
fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x33fda4 (nil)): stub
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_SetBlanket 0x7d92d82c, 0x12a0b8, 10, 0, (null), 3, 3, (nil), 0x00000000
fixme:wbemprox:client_security_Release 0x7d92d82c
fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x1abe9a8 (nil)): stub
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  171
  Current serial number in output stream:  175
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x74f894 "?" wait timed out in thread 003b, blocked by 0035, retrying (60 sec)
Story time:
So I built this computer a couple of days ago, installed windows first with half the primary hdd, took the other half for arch. Installed arch earlier today and after getting the Desktop environment setup with antergos I installed hearthstone. I hadn't installed nvidia yet. Hearthstone successfully installed and played, I thought I was in heaven till I saw how laggy it was in game. So next thing I did was install the nvidia drivers and reboot. Blizzard app starts looking for an update with the error:

over and over, so I figure it's related to installing and rebooting for the nvidia drivers to take. I start digging into it, following tons of suggestions like installing wininit, vcrun2015, nuking my wine install, etc. Till finally I get to an error that says:

fixme:ras:RasEnumConnectionsW RAS support is not implemented! Configure program to use LAN connection/winsock instead!
And I just can't get past it. I also remember that I have a 120gb ssd I had planned for my /home directory so I say screw it, reformat my new linux install and start fresh.

This time, I set it up completely the same with two variations: I added the 120gb ssd and mounted that to /home AND I installed my nvidia drivers before installing the blizzard app. Bam, stuck at the same error I immediately got last time after installing the nvidia proprietary drivers.

So, process of elimination without reformatting again, my vote is that it's the nvidia drivers changed something significant from the nouveau drivers.

In closing:
I would really love to fix this so I basically never have to reboot to windows, but honestly I didn't build this hardware to play hearthstone, I'm a software dev with a bunch of data crunching to do so I'll just use my other computer to play hearthstone now or when I have breaks between runs of my app. I am hoping someone can say something like "this is a known issue" or "can you get this info because I think it's this" or "oh we have a switch statement to treat wine differently if your driver is nouveau vs nvidia" (I so can't see that being the case). But hey if anything, the more you know.
pga256
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Nvidia drivers and blizzard app

Post by pga256 »

sudo pacman -Sy lib32-nvidia-utils nvidia-utils
worked for me.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

over and over, so I figure it's related to installing and rebooting for the nvidia drivers to take. I start digging into it, following tons of suggestions like installing wininit, vcrun2015, nuking my wine install, etc.
Did you ever do what the error message told you to do: install winbind? If not, do so, and make sure you have both 32 and 64 bit winbind.

However, I doubt that's the cause of your problem; it's more likely this:

Those aren't Wine errors, they're from libGL, which can't find your hardware drivers. That suggests the Nvidia driver isn't properly installed.
pga256
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pga256 »

Arch recently issued an update for the nvidia package but there was a short delay before the matching lib32-nvidia-utils and nvidia-utils packages were issued. Anyone updating or installing nvidia during this time had packages with a version mismatch, hence the errors with libGL, which is part of nvidia-utils. Updating all nvidia drivers to the same version should sort this out.
rasperin

Post by rasperin »

So uh yeah, seems that when the lib32-nvidia-utils match the nvidia driver version things work, thanks all!

I shall now go sit in the dunce corner...