Trouble configuring WINE

Questions about Wine on Linux
Josie Wales

Trouble configuring WINE

Post by Josie Wales »

I'm new to the WINE arena, so I'm having trouble configuring WINE to run my Windows apps on Linux Mint.

I know the applications'll work cuz, through my thrashing, I've managed to make them work. But I'm having trouble making new installs and new computers run .

I have my data files on a partition called DATA, and mounted on the Linux file structure. (/DEV/SDA4)
/DEV/SDA4 is assigned to DOS drive H:.

In particular, I want to run 1990's version Filemaker Pro. It does work, but when it starts up Filemaker's OPEN FILE box is pointed at the wrong drive. I always have to change the drive letter. Also, how can I out an icon on the desktop that will start Filemaker up, pointed at the correct drive.

I also want to run a mid-90's QuickBooks Pro Ver 5. The software remembers the .QBW file and location and opens the file, but I can't always make the program start. And I'd like an icon on the desktop to start it up.

And I have written a lot of software in Visual Basic Pro 6.0. I would like to install it on Wine and be able to run my programs, compiled to .EXE, on my Linux machines. And I'd like to be able to make program changes and recompile the .EXE's.

I'm using Linx Mint 17.2 and am trying to change over to Mint 18.2, but am having the same troubles. On the Mint 18.2 I have downloaded the current version of Wine as I had read the included version wasn't the most current.