Getting Microstation V8i (Power Geopak) to run

Questions about Wine on Linux
joel_graff

Getting Microstation V8i (Power Geopak) to run

Post by joel_graff »

Hello,

I'm attempting what I presume is likely impossible, short of going to CodeWeavers, but it seems like it should be manageable...

Specifically, I'm trying to get Microstation V8i (PowerGeopak) to run under Linux. I have the install package, as well as a package containing all the dependencies.

That said, the specific dependencies for installation are as follows (listed in the following order, if it matters):

- Windows Installer v 3.1v2
- Microsoft .NET Framework v3.5
- Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 6 SP 1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications core
- Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications localized
- DirectX 9c
- DHTML Editing Control for Applications (with Vista compatibility)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer v7.0 or later with 128-bit cipher strength.

Installing the dependencies from the bundled EXE fails out-of-hand. It crashes trying to install dotnet35. Which is no surprise, I suppose.

So I need to install these individually. I think I've managed to get dotnet35 working in the past for other applications, but it's really hard to determine whether or not these packages get installed correctly and some (like the DHTML Editing Control) seem flaky. Further, I can't seem to find VBA core / localized packages.

Anyway, I'm looking for maybe a more careful way I can approach this to ensure that everything's getting installed correctly - any direction / diagnostic tips would be appreciated.

I'll gladly set up a clean prefix and post the results, if someone is kind enough to step through it with me - though I'm not sure if it should be 32-bit or 64-bit. V8i is 32-bit software, but there's a 64-bit prerequisite in the list, which seems odd.

Ultimately, Microstation V8i / Power GeoPak doesn't work very well, even on Windows, so I don't expect great success, here. But not being able to get past a pretty explicit and reasonably common dependencies list is even worse.

Thanks!

Joel