Windows apps packaged onto Snap or Flatpak images

Questions about Wine on Linux
Predatux
Level 1
Level 1

Windows apps packaged onto Snap or Flatpak images

Post by Predatux »

A doubt that I have. Would be possible to use containers like snap or flatpak to package windows applications? I really think it would be a great idea, since you only have to install the corresponding snap or flatpak package, and it would always works no matter which version of Linux do you use. Each application would come packaged with the version of wine that best works it, including fonts, directx, etc.
Know you if someone is working on that?
Regards
dimesio

Re: Windows apps packaged onto Snap or Flatpak images

Post by dimesio »

Most Windows apps are not free. Repackaging/redistributing them without the permission of the copyright owner would be illegal.
Predatux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Predatux »

I understand, I had not thought of it.

But I guess not all applications have that restriction, right? I mean there is also a lot of free software on windows, which could be packaged using snap, and possibly many software developers would agree to allow it.
In that case would it be possible?
regards
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I suspect Wine has far too many dependencies for flatpak or snap to ever be a practical way to distribute it.

But even if someone were to go ahead and package Wine and all its dependencies, distributing individual Windows applications with their own copies of Wine and all its dependencies in a flatpak or snap package would be a colossal waste. I have 14 wineprefixes for different Windows apps that I regularly use. If I'd also had to install 14 copies of Wine and 14 copies of each dependency, I'd have run out of disk space long ago.

IMO, you need to rethink your assumption that people need a different version of Wine for each application. In most cases, the latest development or staging release will work fine. The cases where they don't usually involve unsupported hacks. WineHQ is never going to distribute those, but you can find some of them in third party applications like PlayOnLinux.
AncientBrit

Post by AncientBrit »

This is a late contribution, but it's aimed at users who search for SNAP in the forums.

To explore the progress of Wine as a SNAP container so that Windows apps can run under their own configuration of Wine, visit https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/winesnap-c ... tions/6392

I'm assuming the URL is OK to embed here.