Wine using the wrong graphics card in laptop

Questions about Wine on Linux
bertalanimre

Wine using the wrong graphics card in laptop

Post by bertalanimre »

Hello Forum,

I've seen this issue elsewhere as well, but those topics were 5-6 years old one. May I get an update?

- My laptop is an ASUS ROG laptop with integrated Intel and dedicated NVidia GTX 960m graphic cards.
- I'm using Fedora 26 Workstation
- I have NVidia driver installed properly from the NVidia site

Code: Select all

lspci -nnk
comes with the following output:

Code: Select all

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0416] (rev 06)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:185d]
	Kernel driver in use: i915
	Kernel modules: i915

01:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] [10de:139b] (rev a2)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:185d]
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia
	Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia
I've installed a game (namely World of Tanks) but it runs incredibly bad. Since I can see that the temperature of my NVidia GPU is not rising high when I start playing, I assume wine is not using the NVidia card for the game.

What is the solution from this point? Is it possible to tell wine which GPU is it should use for specific tasks?

Hope to hear from you guys, this is as far as I could get on my own. :(

Bert
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Wine using the wrong graphics card in laptop

Post by DarkShadow44 »

You should be able to set that with your NVIDIA control panel.

As I had two discrete GPUs, I could select one by running "DRI_PRIME=1 wine", it should work with mesa. Not sure about closed source drivers since I never used them.

As alternative you could try to disable your Intel integrated GPU. You might be able to do it in the BIOS, I'm not sure how to do it with Linux itself. But make sure your dedicated graphics card works, or you'll end up with no 3D acceleration.