Question regarding the best way to start apps with Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
edjski

Question regarding the best way to start apps with Wine

Post by edjski »

What is the best way to start Windows programs in Wine? The wine folder is hidden and having to hit Ctrl+h seems like an unnecessary step.

Thanks

edjski
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Question regarding the best way to start apps with Wine

Post by Bob Wya »

edjski wrote:What is the best way to start Windows programs in Wine? The wine folder is hidden and having to hit Ctrl+h seems like an unnecessary step.

Thanks

edjski
Use the terminal to set them up - see WineHQ User's Guide: 3.1 How to install and run Windows programs ...

Once a Windows application is known to be working under Wine...
That's when you switch to using the native Linux .desktop shortcut files that Wine creates - when you install any Windows application.
These should be accessible - under the Wine category in your Linux DE main menu.

Really you don't want to be running .exe files - using your Linux File Manager.
  • It's inconvenient if they work - your DE main menu is quicker and easier.
  • It's very inconvenient if they don't work. Because all the TTY console output will be lost - which is essential information - required to troubleshoot any "Wine issues".
Bob
edjski

Post by edjski »

Thanks Bob, I'll follow the link.
Not sure why the apps aren't showing up in my Mate menu this time around but that would certainly be easier than viewing hidden files every time.

Thanks.
Ed
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

edjski wrote:Thanks Bob, I'll follow the link.
Not sure why the apps aren't showing up in my Mate menu this time around but that would certainly be easier than viewing hidden files every time.

Thanks.
Ed
Launch the menu editor for your chosen Desktop (alacarte on Ubuntu I think) and see if the Wine or Lost & Found categories are disabled.

The Wine auto-generated .desktop files should be created in the directory:

Code: Select all

~/.local/share/applications/
The associated Wine icons (extracted from the Windows .ico files) will typically be stored in the directory:

~/.local/share/icons/hicolor/
Don't hunt around in these sub-directories "like an animal"! :lol:
Just use find in a terminal window, e.g. to find your Windows Steam Client launcher:

# search in directory "${HOME}/.local/share/applications/ for files with case insensitive match to "steam*.desktop"
find ~/.local/share/applications/ -type f -iname "steam*.desktop"
Personally I tend to disable Desktop Integration for Wine.
Then I just create desktop launchers for the Windows applications I want to use frequently - with the correct Linux / native category.
E.g. my desktop launcher for Steam:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Steam64
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/mnt/robs-rog-laptop/linux_shared/robert/wineprefixes/steam64" /usr/bin/wine C:\\\\windows\\\\command\\\\start.exe C\\:\\\\Program\\ Files\\ \\(x86\\)\\\\Steam\\\\Steam.exe -no-cef-sandbox
TryExec=/usr/bin/wine
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Icon=wine_steam
Categories=X-Wine;Network;FileTransfer;Game;
Bob