I am not finding the Staging tab in winecfg window

Questions about Wine on Linux
Dramegno
Level 1
Level 1

I am not finding the Staging tab in winecfg window

Post by Dramegno »

I am trying to followthis tutorial and I followed these instructions to install wine-staging. When I open winecfg to change settings in the staging tab the tab is absent and winecfg appears just like it did pre-installation of wine-staging. Since I have not been able to find anything in regards to this I am sure I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque.

When CMST was disabled by default did the entire tab get removed or did I just screw up the installation somewhere?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: I am not finding the Staging tab in winecfg window

Post by Bob Wya »

• What Linux distribution are you using?
  • What's the output from:

Code: Select all

wine --version
    'ls' -hl /usr/bin/wine
    find /opt -type f -executable -name "wine"
Ta
Bob
Dramegno
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dramegno »

I am using Debian 8.8

nope@wyltn:~$ wine --version
wine-1.6.2
nope@wyltn:~$ 'ls' -h1 /usr/bin/wine
/usr/bin/wine
nope@wyltn:~$ find /opt -type f -executable -name "wine"
/opt/wine-staging/bin/wine
I did see that I am using an old version so I followed this guide instead of the guide at wine-staging.com which I used prior that for some reason installed an old version of staging which didn't have the tab.

now the fields list as follows

nope@wyltn:~$ wine --version
wine-2.13 (Staging)
nope@wyltn:~$ 'ls' -h1 /usr/bin/wine
/usr/bin/wine
nope@wyltn:~$ find /opt -type f -executable -name "wine"
/opt/wine-staging/bin/wine
I do not know how or who I would need to talk to about the out of date guide at wine-staging.com I am assuming that that is the official site for wine-staging or at least was at one time.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The official site is here; wine-staging became part of WineHQ two years ago. https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine-Staging
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@Dramegno

You've not actually followed the Wine Staging install guide (on the Wine Staging site) correctly... :roll:

To quote:
It is also possible to install multiple versions of Wine in parallel. Just replace winehq-staging with wine-staging in the instructions below, and start Wine Staging by typing the full path /opt/wine-staging/bin/{wine,winecfg,...}. Technically, the winehq-staging package depends on wine-staging and just installs a bunch of compatibility symlinks to /usr/bin.
Afterwards update the package cache and install Wine Staging:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install winehq-staging
The winehq-staging will install compatibility symlinks in: /usr/bin
thereby requiring that you remove any pre-existing primary installations of Wine.

There's nothing wrong with the instructions there - but what's between the chair and the keyboard! :lol:

Bob
Dramegno
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dramegno »

Don't know what to tell you Bob but wine-staging would not install correctly for me using the

sudo apt-get install winehq-staging
but it does when I use

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-staging
This is the only real difference between the two sites. I installed and purged wine several times trying to get this to work before making my original post and it wasn't until you told me to run wine --version that I realized what the problem was that for some reason an older version was being installed regardless of how many times I ran

sudo apt-get update
in fact it almost looks like it was installing wine-stable from the official debian jessie repository. But I have verified by purging wine-staging and installing it without the extra option does not work for me. It could be a weird issue but I am not Linux savvy enough to know why it doesn't work without the extra option.