Trying to get Sims 3 working on Ubuntu Mate

Questions about Wine on Linux
DJ_05er

Trying to get Sims 3 working on Ubuntu Mate

Post by DJ_05er »

Hello fellow friends I'm the new one and I hope aI can get some cheeky solutions here!

My wife totally likes to play Sims 3, but now that I am using Ubuntu it's difficult to get Sims 3 working.

My conditions:
I bought Sims 3 via Steam
Ubuntu Mate Desktop Environment 1.12.1
rookie in Linux

I have installed PlayOnLinux, installed steam via PlayOnLinux and downloaded the Sims 3 threw this. (You can also install Sims 3 via PoL directly, but u need an installation file to do so, and I haven't one) I thought if I start the game now with wine that it'll work, but of course, it doesn't.

I've found this https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... ngId=89542, so apparently my thoughts are going in the right directions.

What can I do?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Trying to get Sims 3 working on Ubuntu Mate

Post by Bob Wya »

DJ_05er wrote:...
What can I do?
Don't use POL - would be a good start... It's not even supported on this site - see WineHQ FAQ: 8.7 I used a third party application (PlayOnLinux, WineBottler, etc.) to install or manage applications in Wine and need help ...
Using POL just leads to constant breakage: the install scripts are all community maintained and the Wine bundles tend not to work with newer system libraries (since they were not built against these)... :cry:

It's worth reading through the Wine FAQ a few times - till you get a basic understanding of how Wine works.

Get Wine Staging 2.13 - see WineHQ: Ubuntu ...

Check the currently recommended way to setup the Windows Steam Client.
Refer to the AppDB page for the Steam Client (which I help to maintain) - see WineHQ AppDB: Games / Game Tools / Steam / Official Release ...
I keep this super up-to-date - with the latest issues with Windows Steam Client.

Then you are ready to follow the recommendations on the Sims 3 AppDB page - which you linked to!

Bob