Wine 2.11 on Fedora 26 and FPS game

Questions about Wine on Linux
Vuko150

Wine 2.11 on Fedora 26 and FPS game

Post by Vuko150 »

Hi,

I have an issue with games like Deus Ex 1 on my Fedora 26. I cannot do a complete rotation of the point of view in the game, as if mouse was stopped by screen borders, so i can't have a correct experience gaming. In first time, i think it's related with Wayland, because i know there were problems with mouse input in games via Xwayland, and i've encountered similar problems in games like Half-Life 2, on native Steam Linux (quick and unstoppable rotations of the point of view for example), but with last Wayland updates (already in Fedora 25), problems stopped. I installated Deus Ex 1 GOTY and now i have the issue which i said at the beginning, but i cannot certify it is related to Wayland or to Wine.

Anyone can help me ?

Thanks in advance.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wine 2.11 on Fedora 26 and FPS game

Post by Bob Wya »

@Vuko150

Does the issue still occur if you log into a standard X Session?

TBH this bug may straddle both Wayland and Wine - in that the XWayland windowing system may not support all the low-level stuff Wine tries to do.
Wine is still a bit plagued by in-game rotation issues - ever since the Wine implementation of xinput2.
Why not file bugs against XWayland and Wine? 8)
It might be useful to attach a wineserver log to a new Wine bug (covering the time you experience the issue in the game) ...

Sorry I can't be of more help - but opening bugs will get more eyeballs on this issue and other corner cases.

Btw I've got Fedora 25 installed on my laptop - but I can't even test a Wayland session - because I've got an Nvidia GPU... :cry:

Bob
Vuko150

Post by Vuko150 »

@Bob Wya

Thanks for your answer.

I forget to say that my issue occurs when i'm playing at fullscreen. So i've found a workaround : simply run windowed game, and of course, enabling Wine catching mouse. But it's not a complete workaround, because when i begin a rotation of point of view with mouse, when i "theorically" reach the screen borders with mouse, the 360 degrees rotation in game is slowing down, but it's possible, unlike at fullscreen.

I would like to fill a bug, but i don't know for what : Xwayland ? There are many people already complaining about mouse input problems (there are several articles on Phoronix on that). Sometimes, anyone says that last updates of wayland correct input mouse issues, another says it doesn't correct anything, or simply reduce the bug. Then for Wine ? I know that Wine is based on X technologies, and a pure Wayland port is i think theorically impossible due to Wayland protocols limitations.

I will try to post some logs if necessary, and do test on Xorg server before to be sure.

Otherwise, i don't know if Fedora 26 has integrated EGLstreams for nVidia, but it exists a wayland fork which integrates EGLStreams : https://github.com/NVIDIA/egl-wayland maybe try there. Wayland is a good protocol for display server, despite limitations. Fedora does a perfect job of his integration, since Fedora 25 i have encountered no problem (or very few) with Wayland, beside issues which i evoked in games. I'm on AMD, free drivers do a fantastic job ;) with now OpenGL 4.5 supported (HD7870 and about 30 fps at Unigine Heaven very close to binary drivers).
Vuko150

Post by Vuko150 »

OK, i've tested on Xorg, no mouse input problems, even if running at fullscreen. So it's a (X)Wayland limation.